DDR3 Memory: Technology Explained - by benchmarkreviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
my opinion about DDR3 is that yes it will replace DDR2 but not anytime soon. The prices r still high n unfortunately not everyone is ready to hit the DDR3 wagon yet. Until i see lower prices like DDR2 after like a year or so then ill be concern about it.

well....half a year down the road with the release of core i7, I think ddr3 is becoming more popular. Prices are also starting to drop too (2gbx3 gskill kit went from $300 to $230 in a week).

well....half a year down the road with the release of core i7, I think ddr3 is becoming more popular. Prices are also starting to drop too (2gbx3 gskill kit went from $300 to $230 in a week).

i made that post months ago, i know prices are going down, so is DDR2, which is still relatively cheaper then DDR3. IF u have the budget to go DDR3 and want to, then by all means go ahead, as for me im sticking with DDR2 and will eventually go DDR3.

the Phenom II 940 (3.0GHz) comes out on Janurary 8th, the 945 (3.0GHz) is coming out sometime in the summer of this year. The 945 is tended for AM3 socket, the 940 is AM2+ and AM2+ wont work on AM3 mobos, so instead ill get the 945 when it comes out so when i want to go to DDR3 in the future, ill be able to upgrade even later and not worrying about buying a whole new CPU.

So the 940 won't work on AM3 boards?

If you wait till summer to get the 945, by then DDR3 ram will have already replaced DDR2.

So the 940 won't work on AM3 boards?

If you wait till summer to get the 945, by then DDR3 ram will have already replaced DDR2.

correct. AM3 works on AM3, AM2+, and AM2 mobos. AM2 and AM2+ wont work on AM3 mobos.

well, im covered because i already got 3GB DDR2 800 SDRAM that has been working with me greatly in terms of OCing and performance.

I thought they were supposed to be backwards compatible

AM3 isnt with AM2 and AM2+ mobos. See the answer above.

So that means that 940 is not a AM3 chip? Hmmm

Correct. AMD has it listed as AM2+ according to some sources posted one being from Apok.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f62/deneb-phenom-ii-info-leaks-out-190880/

look at 940, the letters are green, for AM2+. If u look at the planning ahead graph below, u will find the 945 letters in purple, meaning AM3. The 945 is just a like a port of a video game except going from AM2+ to AM3 but still BC to AM2 and AM2+ mobos. There was a source posted here on tech-forums about it being 3.0GHz still, cant find it.

But other then the DDR3 Ram and the DDR2 Ram there is no difference between the two chips?if that's the case it seems I'll be holding onto that chip for longer then I expected.

But other then the DDR3 Ram and the DDR2 Ram there is no difference between the two chips?if that's the case it seems I'll be holding onto that chip for longer then I expected.

well sure there is. Take a look at the link i posted in the first post of this thread. Lower voltage, double the MHz from DDR2, more OCing, but downside is higher latency and very costly indeed. I recommend DDR2 until DDR3 prices lower even more then how much it is now. I bought 2 x 1GB DDR2 800 Crucial SDRAM for like $74 back in January 2008. DDR2 ram is cheaper then this, price ranging from $20 (with rebate) to no more than $60.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom