Looking for advice for a first time build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nastt

Beta member
My goal is basically a build capable of running the upcoming Grand Theft Auto 4 smoothly (though with my budget that may not be feasible). I'm somewhat new to this stuff so please bear with me :)

First, I was wondering if there are any good SLI motherboards on the market. I haven't researched in about half a year but when I did there were a lot of known graphical artifact/lockup issues on the nVidia 700 chipsets which ultimately scared me off from attempting a build. Have these been resolved yet? Would an SLI board even be necessary for what I need it for? If not, what motherboard would be suitable for someone with little OCing experience looking to spend around $100-125?

Next is video card(s). As mentioned earlier it's been about 6 months since I had been planning a build and at the time I was going to go with a GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB. I'm sure much has changed in 6 months so I'm essentially looking for the best bang for about $225 - I'm not too familiar with the new GeForce stuff at all.

For processor, I'd like to go with intel on a budget of about $225-$250. Beyond that /shrugs.

For RAM... um... basically anything compatible with the suggested motherboard/processor :D Same with power source and OS (not too concerned about budget for these)

I don't need a case, hard drive or anything else. Just what's mentioned above. Any advice I can receive will be very much appreciated. Thanks!

I have just recently upgraded my video card....so I will just chime in on that particular component.

Both ATI and Nvidia have great video cards at the moment....but for your budget, which if I read right is $225 dollars.....I would very strongly suggest the GTX 260....you can get one in that price range.

The one listed here, I just paid $299 for....now it can be had for like $249 with the rebate, and this thing has a sick factory overclock on it and is as fast as the GTX 280 at times...One great card.....plus it has a double lifetime warranty....meaning you could even sell the card to someone, and they too are covered for the lifetime....in my opinion, it does not get any better than that. Plus it also comes with the full version of the game FarCry 2! If you dont want to spend this much, you can still get a GTX 260 for $225.

Newegg.com - XFX GX260NADBF GeForce GTX 260 Black Edition Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Thanks for the quick reply :) While browsing the forums before making the initial post I saw this suggested by someone:

Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1260-AR GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

as well as

Newegg.com - ASUS EN9800GTX+ DK/HTDI/512M GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

How would these cards compare to the one you linked? Is there an easy to read performance graph comparing the newer cards anywhere?

cpu: E8400 or Q9350
Mobo: Asus striker 2 formula 780i or a 750i board should be in your budget. Sli is more hassle then its worth usually its 100% of the price for 60% performance increase plus you need quite high resolutions to really see the benefit I have sli though.
Gpu: 4850, 4870 or Evga black edition core 216 (has to be that one not any old 260) which has already been linked to. Because were nice people we have made a list of reliable brands with reccomended models
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/read-first-updated-power-supply-guide-137927/

PSU is the most important part!!!!!!!!!!! If it fails your computer can be fried meaning that cheap $20 psu actually costs you $400+ as it fried your gpu, cpu and ram when it hiccupped.
Ram should be 2gb for Xp or 4gb for Vista and DDR2-6400 (800mhz) good brands are G-skill, OCZ, kingston, Corsair, Crucial and Team elite.

For reference http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/read-first-hardware-stickies-index-142553/

Thanks for the quick reply :) While browsing the forums before making the initial post I saw this suggested by someone:

Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1260-AR GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

as well as

Newegg.com - ASUS EN9800GTX+ DK/HTDI/512M GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

How would these cards compare to the one you linked? Is there an easy to read performance graph comparing the newer cards anywhere?

The card I linked would be the best.....the first card you linked would be 2nd best and the 2nd card you linked would be the 3rd best....but ALL are very nice video cards, and a good bang for the buck....If I was to get a GTX 260 core card I would try to get a card with 216 processing cores over the older one with 192.

Here is a review of the card I linked...the XFX GTX 260 Black Edition....there are some charts that compare performance in different game....i have no clue as to the accuracy of these charts.

Techgage - XFX GeForce GTX 260 Black Edition

i own both a 216 and 192... both are excellent cards and should play gta4 without anyproblems

but hey, if you wanna wait a few days i can give you a full detailed review on the game and how it plays through with my gpu(s).. sli'd and non sli

you mean pc power & cooling :p

lol i'd definitely recommend them without hesitation..but i think corsair is recommended because its always on sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom