First Build Components

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReptiGuy

Baseband Member
So I've picked out what I want to put in my computer and I wanted to know if all these things will make a good computer.

CPU= $190.00 Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Motherboard= $109.00 Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

RAM= $34.00 Newegg.com - OCZ SLI-Ready 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Hard Drive= $70.00 Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Optical Drive= $20.00 Newegg.com - Sony NEC Optiarc Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 20X DVD±R Burner - CD / DVD Burners

Case= $50.00 Xoxide Alien-X Case

Operating System= $100.00 Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 32-bit English 1pk for System Builders DSP OEI DVD - Operating Systems

TV Tuner Card= $25.00 Newegg.com - Leadtek Tuner Card with Remote Control TV2000XP RM PCI Interface - TV Tuners & Video Devices

Monitor=$90.00 Newegg.com - Hanns·G HB-175APB Black 17" 8ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 DC 1800:1(600:1) Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors

Is there anything I missed that I need?

I am also trying to get components that will make it easy for me to upgrade my computer to a gaming computer if I ever want to.

The CPU is a very good one, but if you are not going to build a gaming computer as you stated in your other thread it might be better to get a quad-core processor. From what I hear, dual core is better for running a single high-resource program (such as a game) whereas quad-core is better for general multitasking.

The RAM is decent and has a rebate that expires on 11/30 - if you are positive you are going to get it, I would say order by then to get the $30 discount. EDIT - vernong's link is awesome o.o

The hard drive seems like overkill to me - I have a 300GB hard drive that's only half full with ~600 songs, many games, and 15 or so DVD-quality movies. I don't know how much space you use, but if you think you won't need 1TB you can save $30 on a hard drive like this. Hard drives also go down in price rather quickly, so if you find you're running out of space you can always buy a second one later.

Make sure your case has good cooling, because looks are nothing if your computer can't run without overheating.

You're also missing the power supply, video card, and operating system. You can get a mid-range video card for very cheap ($15-30) if you catch it during a sale. My friend got an 8600 GT for around that price, but it looks like they don't have that sale right now.

I don't know too much about power supplies, but I would guess you would need at least 450-500W if you want to upgrade your computer in the future.

For the operating system, I can't really say much because I haven't installed Vista on my own computer yet, but make sure it's 64 bit. I have 32-bit XP and it's somewhat limiting in the amount of RAM I can have - I think it maxes out at around 3.2GB. To take full advantage of the RAM you picked you'd need 64 bit XP or Vista.

So should get this RAM instead of the one I was going to get?

I was also thinking about getting this CPU.

I'm going to get this power supply because it's $0.00 after a $37.00 mail in rebate :D. Seriously though, is this a good power supply?

What does an operating system and a video card do?

EDIT - Just noticed the memory choices are different speeds... not sure.

Either CPU is fine. Both will get the job done when it comes to email, word processing, basic multimedia, and most games. Again the quad core might be better for multitasking but you should check with someone with more experience.

I would recommend spending money on a power supply since if it screws up you could damage your other hardware.

An operating system is the software that lets you interact with the computer - most likely Windows in your case. A graphics card is what "draws" the image on the screen. Some motherboards have basic ones built in; yours does not. I would go for a cheap 8600 when you get the chance though, as the difference is HUGE for only ~$20.

this ram:
Newegg.com - OCZ SLI-Ready 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

rocks. ddr2 800 at 4-4-4-15-1T. and its only nine bucks for 2gb after MIR. which is sick. last year 2gb of ddr2 800 cost 300 dollars. the only way to get any faster ddr2 800 would be CAS3 at 1T timings and i dont know if any do that.
and it will give any ddr2 1066 @ 5-5-5-18-2T a serious run for the money in terms of speed. command rate makes a BIG difference.

If I bought a RAM and I put it in my computer and I didn't like it could I take it out and put better RAM in the computer?

I think I might get the nine dollar RAM since I had to spend more money on a quad core CPU.

I switched what RAM I'm going to get. Hopefully my mom will let me get them by tomorrow so I can get the rebate.

A few more questions:

Can't I add another hard drive to my comuter if I ever wanted to?

I've heard that some cases come with a power supply. Does it look like mine comes with a power supply?

Won't this operating system be compatible with my computer?

Is this a good video card:

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100236L Radeon HD 3650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Sorry for all the questions but I really appreciate the help.

My mom wants me to buy all the things for my computer at the same time which will probably make it alot more expensive than it needs to be. I hope I can convince her to let me get the parts when they are on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom