2 issues.. 1 post.. USB mouse and a beep

Status
Not open for further replies.

patonb

Golden Master
Problem 1, When I restart my system 3 out 4 times, my mouse/trackball (kensington expert mouswe) doesn't load. Device manager says there['s something there, but it just doesn't know what it is.

Unplugging it and plugging in brings it up.. however, it has not a couple times.

Doesn't matter where it's plugged either..

I think itrs dying, 4yo, but at 120 bucks new, i gotta check.. And yes i gotta ahve this type, so thats the price.

P2.

Every so often when i hit a key, olr click the mouse, I get a beep sound from windows. Events show nothing, and I can't seem to issolate it.
I up'd my Vcore awhile back and it seemed to stop, as i thunked power issues, but now it's back...

This I'm stumped.

Oddly too, Folding the smp and a gpu locks my puter now too.. Finally got az DMM so will check the psu volts this weekend.

For the first problem I've run into the same with an MS optical type here where you would either end up removing and then reinstalling the software or check for a newer version at the company's support site. You can that type of problem with just about any type of programmable input device.

The second problem especially hearing a beep when pressing a key is typical for reaching the end of a text window and no more letters, numbers, characters can be entered or no place to put anything since no window is open. Generally that's not the board itself but a sound assigned in Windows.

The link there would need to be reposted since all I got was redirected from the usual no IE page found error. But I already am well familiar with the Windows wav files. You hear a very familiar sound for this in Vista as well as XP for simply trying to type anything while just sitting idle at the desktop.

For the MS optical mice and keyboards depending which version of Windows you would try an update one step newer or go back to an earlier one once the latest was removed to see if Windows then detects the model like it should. I ran into this in XP lately where a newer version was all it took when seeing similar problems with an older model now discontinued entirely for about 3-4yrs.!

You can still find references but only used if you are fortunate. The last one bought as a spare was found on amazon.com for $30 back in 2006. MS Trackball Explorer - Trackball - optical - 5 button(s) - cable - D68-00007 - Buy.com

Another thing to mention is making sure you went for the correct update since one version covers one entire line while another is intended for a different type or newer series and simply doesn't work for what you have there. The update page for the Expert is seen at Software Download

The url is only a url so its easy to copy/paste into explorer, not really a http link..

It's a Kensington trackball I use...
Kensington Expert Mouse Trackball 64325 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

I can only really use these kinds cause I sorta busted my neck awhile back and now my hands/arms don't work so well.
I have a logitech marble mouse that is also plugged in, and it always boots. Butg its hard for me to actually use it.

Thanks though.

I have a pair of those onhand here but would like to take another look at the Logitech cordless optical Trackman model except for the high price on those. The Logitech marble model would be the one seen at Logitech Marble 4-Button Trackball 904360-0403 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

Kensington has their own Orbit optical trackball if you haven't seen what looks like an older two button model seen at Kensington Orbit Optical Trackball 64327 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

The Trackman seems to have come down quite a bit priceless lately and can be looked over at Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman 904369-0403 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

That's a five button cordless compared the Kensington model seen at the other link something you could position anyway you wanted without worrying about a cord for dealing with a mobility problem.

Thanks for the links.

The usual issue of the trackball mice is the forward position of the ball, basically perfect for your fingers, but not for using the sidee of your hand.

Both Logitech and MS both see a different type of optical trackball with those seeing the trackball mounted sideways rather then top front at an angle. The Logitech cordless Trackman is one of the two seen at Logitech Cordless Trackman Wheel 904346-0403 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

The other seeing a cord is seen at Logitech Optical Trackman Trackball 904353-0403 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

The MS model isn't in stock at TigerDirect or just anywhere else due to being a discontinued model like the Trackball Explorer. You would have to search around for it now. But for a quick look, Shopzilla - Find low prices on Microsoft Ms Trackball D67-00001 Mouse in Computers & Software

The first Logitech model however is cordless if you decide on trying this type out. These are simply alternatives to Kensington with even the discontinued models seeing support from Microsoft since all models are rolled up in the software's selector once that is on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom