graphics card issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

LostAcres

Beta member
This might be long, but trying to cover everything. I have a Dell DImension 8300. THe graphics card that came with the system was the Nvidia geforce 5200. A few days ago my screen started going weird, garbled, turning black, locking up system etc. Went through Dell **** support, was told my graphics card was bad. Ordered a new one, and while waiting, tried uninstalling Nvidia drivers and downloaded most current drivers. Did not work, same issues, probably worse. New card came (ATI Atlantis RADEON 9000 128MB) Followed directions, uninstalled drivers for old card, replaced card, but now my monitor would not work at all, yellow light, no video input. Reinstalled the old card, and reinstalled drivers, same problem as before. THe only way I can get the old card to work is to totally uninstall all drivers for the card, and of course, my display is a little wonky. Any ideas what the reason could be that the new Radion card will not work? When I did call Dell back, they told me I needed a new motherboard. I don't think that is the case?.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Does the monitor work when the computer is booting up before it gets to Windows? If so then its a driver issue no doubt but one that you need Driver Cleaner Pro to remove. There are most likely leftover driver files in Windows even after the uninstall.

yes its very strange. I remove the drivers, reboot, and if I try to change my settings such as resolution, the screen goes CRAZY garbled black, and eventually locks up and tells me I have enountered a problem with a file called NV4_disp, which I know is Nvidia driver file. WHen I go back to uninstall program files, the Nvidio drivers are back, even though I uninstalled them. Really not sure what is going on

Can you see the screen when you turn on the computer though is what I'm asking. Before it even loads Windows can you see the screen before with the ATI card.

yes I can see the screen, with the OLD Nvidia card. with drivers uninstalled. When drivers are installed the screen goes nuts. and NO, I cannot see the screen with new Card installed

The reason the drivers are still there when you reboot is XP is installing the default Microsoft nvidia drivers at boot(even if it is not prompting you to install them). If you went to device manager and click the driver info you would see Microsoft as the driver manufacturer. I would format that sucker before I would say the cards bad but it could very well be. First Install These Chipset Drivers then reinstall the nvidia drivers.

Your new ATI card is most likely dead then. If the other works but the Radeon doesn't work even on startup it's a dead card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom