Intel to Retaliate to AMD Phenom II Overclocking Feat, Plans Demonstration at CES '09

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurusan

Golden Master
Good to see them both battling it out! :D

techPowerUp! News :: Intel to Retaliate to AMD Phenom II Overclocking Feat, Plans Demonstration at CES '09
Intel plans its own public demonstration of the overclocking capabilities of the Core i7 processors. This, in response to rival AMD achieving an overclock of well beyond 5.00 GHz, and booting at speeds above 6.00 GHz. The engineers at Intel reportedly carried out a large-scale binning of Core i7 processors, to cherry-pick the best performing part. The scale of binning could well be best of 100,000 units.

A chief engineer at Intel, Francoise Piednoel expressed his reservations regarding the 6.00 GHz overclocking feat AMD carried out with its upcoming Phenom II X4 processor last week, saying that the overclocking capabilities of the Phenom II X4 demonstrated do not reflect those of release-grade products, and cannot be replicated in a real-world setting. AMD may have disabled several sensors on the cherry-picked chip used in its demonstration, which facilitated that overclock. In response to this, Intel would be disabling the same sensors, in its special demonstration chip. The demo could be held at CES 2009. The professional overclocker chosen to achieve this feat would be none other than FUGGER from XtremeSystems. FUGGER could be set the task of taking the most desirable, binned Core i7 965 Extreme Edition chip all the way up to a stellar 7.00 GHz, if all goes well.

Re: Intel to Retaliate to AMD Phenom II Overclocking Feat, Plans Demonstration at CES

****... what i'd give to be fugger...

Re: Intel to Retaliate to AMD Phenom II Overclocking Feat, Plans Demonstration at CES

The battle of the e-***** begins :p

Remember,Its all about how it performs not how big it is ;)

So much for those deneb overclocks, lets see how close they comes to a 7ghz i7.

Impressive.. but they'd have to cherry pick them right (not that I'm thread crapping or anything.... just asking)

Too bad they cant just pick a random number and say theyll make it there.

7ghz?? ok lets see it.

May take Intel some time to find a chip capable of it... And even with the "sensors" disabled, it doesn't mean that it could perform any benchmarks.

**** Fugger is lucky.

At least the competition is heating up now. It's probably the only reason Intel has a Core i7 in the $300~ price range.

AMD: Ohhh goddddd! Let me get up!
*i7 Hits it again*

Impressive.. but they'd have to cherry pick them right (not that I'm thread crapping or anything.... just asking)

could be up to 100K units to chose from.
1st paragraph, last sentence XD

anyhoo,

all because of a thread on XS in the AMD section with a Intel rep...
well, a lot because of it.

7ghz would be cool though.
maybe some more tweaking and you'll see close to 7ghz AMD? if i remember correctly i read that 'word of mouth' from someone there they actually did a 6.3ghz run?

anyhow, none of this is practical..just for top position i guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom