What is Vsync exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually have to have vsynch on or I see pretty gross tearing. i think it might have somethign to do with the dual gpu in my case though :/ I never seen it when I had the 8800ultra, only when i moved to the gx2 and 4870x2.

umm.what's screen tearing???

wikipedia said:
Screen tearing is a phenomenon in video where a newly rendered frame overlaps a previously rendered frame, creating a torn look as two parts of an object (such as a wall) don't line up. This occurs when the output device sends frames out of sync with the display's refresh rate.

Screen tearing can occur on all display types but is most common with video games and videos decoded and shown by computers, as heavy processing can limit synchronization capabilities. It is less common with other mediums such as DVD players and TVs since the frames are not dynamically generated as they are with computers, but are preset. The frame rate given to the display device is therefore more constant and reliable.

Screen tearing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It sucks and is quite disruptive to the gaming experience. Basically just rips the screen in half. Half the screen is a few frames ahead, and the other half a few frames back.

We've all seen it at one point or another, although you may not have noticed or pegged as screen tearing. Try loading up a demanding FPS and spinning around quickly, you will immediately see the evidence of screen tearing.

Unfortunately VSync kills your performance and frame rate, although it technically makes your frame rate more stable, you will see a noticeable hit to your visuals.

IMO, disable it unless the tearing is killing you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom