CPU Lapping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will this work for aluminum also? I have some really fine grit sandpaper at home. What do you do? You go from a lower grit to a higher grit? Like say you start with 500, then 1000, then 1500, and finally 2000? Or should you take smaller steps?

Wow I am really going to get alot of cooling out of this, this mofo looked like mount everest compared to what it does now. I am in no way done. I just finished the 600 grit, now I'm moving one to 800, then 1500. I am hoping to be able to overclock my comp once it get's built.

Demalli -

Yeah it says its for the woodworking TOOLS so I think its just to sharpen them I'm not a hundred percent sure, but still it comes with all the necessary things of heatsink lapping!

BTW: I just got my sandpaper from easypckits.com today! He also sent me a free bag of some zip-ties and a sample of premium 20 micron sand paper. Let me know if he gives you the same. He accidentally gave me 1200grit then jumped up to 2000 and gave me 2 pieces of 2000 grit paper and forgot the 1500 =/ I e-mailed him about it and within an hour he replied and said 'Gosh I just must have gotten the stack out of order, give me your mailing address and I'll rush you that 1500grit out right away' so I should have the 1500 grit coming too. Guy who owns the site is really nice and answers your questions promptly. Gotta wait to get that 1500 grit and buy my new CPU then I'll also be giving my heatsink a good lapping. We'll have to give each other reports Demalli so I know how yours came out =)

Lazerman:

Don't jump from 800 to 1500 the kit I got goes from400-600-800-1000-1200-1500 You're jumping two whole steps and I don't know how that'd effect it, but its better to go in minute steps.

Well this is all that I could afford, also, I am going to step back down, to 1000 then 1500 again and then 2000, and maybe 2500 if I can find it.

cheers Nubius.. I was hoping mine would come in the mail today, but it didn't.. tomorrow my replacement mobo comes and hopefully the lap kit will also so i can put my computer back together tomorrow, i've been missing it for too long. Anyways I'll make sure to let you know how it all turns out.

ohh hey nubius, am i supposed to turn the heatsink upside down, so the bottom is up.. then lay the sandpaper down and then the glass? and rub it around like that? i've never done a lap before using glass...

*lol, nevermind that was a dumb statement.. after looking at what I was dealing with for nearly 5 seconds I figured it out.. anyways, I came to find my heatsink was more than.. not flat, took me a little over an hour to complete.. Nubius, did your kit come with the brown paper also?

wow.. This kit really worked out great.. I lost 4C on average! Lemme know if you wanna see my review and I'll PM to you

Well I gotta wait a while cause I ordered a bunch of parts cause I'm gonna do a nice big case mod =) gotta wait for my SLK-900A to come in and I'm gonna lap that. I bought the regular kit and got 400,600,800,1000,1200, then he forgot the 1500grit and sent me two 2000 grits...I contacted him and I just got today a free set of his premium lapping papers plus the 10,000 grit polish! The premium kit includes 400,600,800,1000, then it goes to 40 micron, 25 micron, 20 micron, 15 micron, then finally 10 micron. Guess the micron style paper is just more 'expensive' and better material or something cause like I said this came from his 'Premium heatsink lapping kit' The papers in the first regular "Heatsink Lapping kit' yeah were brown and had the grits on the back. Can't wait to do that project. I'm gonna be adding major fans and doing some cutting and and the heatsink lapping...should be awesome I'll let you know how that goes

Demalii....Yeah send me your review I'd like to see it!

I wish you the best of luck on your new rig.. take many pics =) And yea David was the guy from EasyPCKits that helped me.. seems very nice, I hope things work out for him...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom