corrupted hard drive URGENT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
He did try check disk. But not chkdsk/f which needs to be run to check the integrity of the drive and possibly try to fix it....

I thought that what chkdsk / r was. I will have to run chkdsk ? to see the difference... :) Right now I am off to school....

EDIT: Well, I did some research after class and I see that chkdsk / f fixes errors without scanning for bad sectors. The /r switch I knew locates bad sectors and tries to fix them (/r implies /f). Something interesing of note* for Vista. Vista also has a switch /B for re-evaluating bad clusters on a volume.

Mak, a question if you will. My instructor says you should use the /r switch with Check Disk, and in Mikee's case I thought that it might help if he tried it using that switch. I welcome your thoughts on this if you so choose.

Mikee, I apologize. I didn't see that you had tried Check Disk already.

Well, I finally got his files restored using another backup program. I put the drive in my old computer since It wouldn't boot in the other one and backed all the files up to my computer over the network then reformatted the drive and transferred the files all back. It was alot of work but finally it is all completely sorted now.

Thanx guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom