Trouble with new build

Status
Not open for further replies.

fsb21

Beta member
I am building a computer and I ran into a bit of a problem. The computer boots up just fine with a post beep for "all clear". It can run in bios for as long as I want it to without any problems. However, when I try to install Windows, I am greeted with a rapid fire of beeps followed by a computer restart.

I am not sure if this is a problem with a bad Windows CD or not. I have tried 2 different discs so far and the same problem occured. The beeps are the thing that threw me off since that is "normally" a hardware issue from my experience, but I swapped in a known working CD drive and the same issue occured. Do any of you know what is wrong with my computer, or should I try finding another disc somewhere and hope that I just am having bad luck with finding a working Windows CD?

Thanks for any help on the issue.

You need to look at the manf. website or manual for your motherboard. Then check what that error code (the beep) is in reference to.

Then replace the part that is not passing POST.

If you know the motherboard you're using post it and I'll find the codes for you. If you know what BIOS your motherboard uses even better.

You need to look at the manf. website or manual for your motherboard. Then check what that error code (the beep) is in reference to.

Then replace the part that is not passing POST.

Nah... no error code. It is rapid beeping once the windows installation starts, about a minute in. It passes POST just fine. If there was an error code I would be very happy, but sadly there isn't.

Is this a SATA or PATA drive? XP doesn't natively support SATA.

Could try a bios update as well (some allow you to install on a floppy which will install at startup).

Is this a SATA or PATA drive? XP doesn't natively support SATA.

Could try a bios update as well (some allow you to install on a floppy which will install at startup).

It is a SATA drive, and I didn't know that about XP. It's a relatively "new" board, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to update the bios. I'll try that tomorrow and see if that works.

The board is a DFI BloodIron P35-T2RL, in response to your question.

Yes XP DOES NOT support SATA. While a lot of motherboards now can 'emulate' the SATA connection, it will only be running at IDE transfer speeds. If you want to take full advantage of SATA you will have to download the drivers of your MB to a floppy, then while installing XP press F6 for 3rd party drivers. At that point you install the SATA controller for the motherboard.

In the bios check the ACHP settings.

Building on what Lex said, you can also adjust your SATA drive to run in "IDE Legacy" mode. If you find that feature in your BIOS, you should be good to go. But "SATA Mode" (AHCI) XP does not support.

If you want to install XP in AHCI mode (SATA Mode) you will need to do what Lex said with the floppy drive and having the AHCI driver on the floppy disk by pressing F6 right when it says "Press F6 to install a RAID or SCSI driver"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom