8800GTS to 260GTX in Cent 5 case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shafra

In Runtime
Hi All,

Two quick questions.

1. From an old 8800gts 640mb version, purchased as soon as it came out, (So not G92 I think is correct term) if I go to a 260GTX will I see some big improvements in FPS?

2. Also, I'm using a Centurion 5 case, I have about 3" (7.6cm) left behind my 8800GTS, will a 260GTX fit in this case?

I'm running 1920x1200 as well if that is important.

Any help is appreciated, I'm about ready to buy, but since I'll be buying online I hate to find out I'll also need to buy a new case. I'm assuming the performance increase should be nice, but all I could find were comparisons on the 8800GT sli versus the 260GTX. My power supply is the Corsair 750 watt so I know I have enough power and connections.

Thanks for any help!!

gtx260 is roughly 1 to 1.5 inches longer than your card

and as for fps ... it is better than running 2 of your cards in sli... so yes, i would say a big improvement

and with that resolution and all the memory on it... i think its a safe bet to go with it

nvidia also just released new drivers that give them a huge performance increase

and yes, your power supply is good enough for 2 of these in sli

look for ones with 216 shaders

and as for superclocked... usually not so great to get em.. but for 15 dollars i guess why not?

edit

ahhh at 234 thats an amazing deal

core 216's start at about 270 i think... so you may not want that anymore!! lol

the core 192 is still amazing... its the only one i've used so far (i don't have my new mobo to use my core 216 yet!) .... played crysis on a modded very high 1920x1080 very easily!!!!! beautiful beautiful card... and they overclock like crazy... had mine running 757ish core for everyday use

i would advise the 216 personally... you get some extra juice for a few extra bucks.. and with the 216 a small oveclock makes it match the 280

the extra shaders will definitely help in the long run seeing as games are getting more shader intensive

hmmm granted the 8800 GTS g80 has a good performance gap between the 8800 GTX back in the day, my previous thread may help you in terms of gauging performance increases:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/gtx-260-core-216-worth-upgrade-8800-gtx-comparison-190459/

contrary to popular belief, there actually isn't as large of a performance gap between the 8 series and the Geforce 200 series as some forum members will have you believe. If you have the money to upgrade and like to see a performance boost now I would recommend upgrading as well, just keep in mind the numbers. Personally with my aging 8800 gtx, I'm going to hang onto it a little while longer since it performs adequately ( can run most games on max settings with decent fps ) and see what comes out next/price drops.

Gabb, its a big difference going from a 8800GTS to a GTX 260.

nosboost should know, he has owned over 20 gpu's in the last 2 years.

Gabb, its a big difference going from a 8800GTS to a GTX 260.

nosboost should know, he has owned over 20 gpu's in the last 2 years.

I stated theres a substantial difference between a g80 8800 gts and a 8800 gtx which leads to the logical conclusion that theres a larger difference between the 8800 GTS and the GTX 260. I just wanted to provide numbers to let him know a more accurate scale on the differences along with providing my opinion.

and I thought Nosboost advertised 27 GPUs in 2.5 years :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom