Nvidia 6200 problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

95BlackGA

Fully Optimized
I had to buy a BFG Tech Geforce 6200 OC (PCI), from Wal-Mart. This was the only card they had that would work in my system. I've been having some problems with it. Anytime I try to play audio files, the computer freezes. I thought maybe it was just a system problem. I just reformatted my PC, about 2 days ago. I figured I'd reformat again, since there's nothing that important on my drives. I reformat, and still have the same problem. I know this isn't the best card, but it shouldn't make the system freeze every time I load an audio file. Any ideas? I'm using the 178.24 Forceware drivers.

Might be causing some sort of a conflict with your video. Are you using the drivers that came on the disc or the ones from nvidia's site? You should be using nvidia's reference drivers from their site if you're not.

Jump into the device manager and see that there's no yellow exclamation marks next to anything.

Go to control panel and check out the audio playback options, see that they're correctly set for your sound card/onboard sound. Update your sound drivers to the latest as well, that could help.

****... I guess it was a driver issue. I was listening to music for about 10 minutes, while browsing the internet (Seems to only freeze when playing music, and loading webpage at the same time.) I figured that out, and decided to uninstall the driver, and use Driver Sweeper. I'm now using VGA mode in Windows, with no Nvidia graphics driver, and can play music while surfing the net. Any idea on this one? I'm downgrading to Service Pack 2, hopefully that is the issue.

Card does not like Windows at all. I decided to install Ubuntu 8.04. Been up and running for a little while now, but I have yet to play any audio files.

Played an audio file, played fine. Decided to try surfing while playing the audio file. Still have freezes. :(

I THINK it may have been a setting in my BIOS. The init display was set to AGP, and not PCI. I set it to PCI, and have been playing music for about 15minutes while surfing the net. I'm going to install Windows on a second partition, and see what happens from there.

EDIT 1 : Now in Windows XP SP2, and running media player, and on here. All is good, so far. Hopefully I can get this all corrected...

EDIT 2 : Been playing for quite a while now, and all seems fine! (Woot)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom