Is this a good deal, or a stinker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a prebuilt its good. All it needs is a decent card $100~$200 and you have a some what decent gaming computer.

See if you can find a prebuilt with a bigger case. I m pretty sure you should be able to find one that will fit a decent GPU.

Go with that one. You can always switch out the Power Supply with something more powerful. So that way you won't have to worry to much when it comes to future upgrades.

If that case is capable of holding the 9800 GT. It should be able to hold next gen cards as well, considering their not like fourteen inches or longer.

I have looked at these computers, because I am hoping to wait until boxing day for good deals. the comparison is interesting. I'm waffling between the best buy computer (AMD Phenom X4 9550 Quad-Core Processor, 5MB, 750GB, no wifi, GeForce 9300GE, 549$) and a Future shop computer (Q6700, 6MB, 750MB, Wifi GeForce 9500GS, 849$) found here: Future Shop: Computers: Desktop Computers: HP Pavilion Elite Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz Desktop Computer (M9340F) - Refurbished - Web Only. The Canada Computer's are all out of stock. I've checked other places as well, and they are all either out of stock, or a bit subpar.

Best Buy: about 2/3rds the speed as the Future shop one according to passmark standards. It also has no wifi, which I need, and would need a better videos card, cause I game--or at least will when Guild Wars 2, Diablo 3, and starcraft come along, or other games in 3 years that I want to play. I bet I could get a good 9800 for 150, and a wifi for 50. So, that would come to 749$. Still cheaper. But, if the video card doesn't fit, then this whole thing is a write off.

Future Shop: Faster, wifi, only passable video card, but I could try and upgrade it in a few years if needed. It has more bells and whistles. But, is it worth 100$ more? Maybe if it lasts longer.

They are also both refurbished, so that is a factor (i.e. the quality of Future Shop and Best Buy for refurbished).

As such, anyone got any advice for me? The Future shop is about the highest price I will go, and only to get something that good, though the video card that comes with it is a little disappointing. The processor makes up for it with me though. Enough to consider it. Though, I have been out of the computer hardware loop for 4-5 years.

D

Future Shop :freak:

Go for the refurbished build if you want.

Hi Hussein, thanks for the input. Just for clarification, which refurbished should I go for? They are both refurbished. I'm going to guess you mean the best buy one, because you suggested getting a video card as well, which I don't think I'd need for a year at least with the Future shop compy. Why do you think I should go for one over the other? I'd appreciate any sage advice. :)

D

Every computer I've had before has been built by me, but this year I am not sure if I have the time or energy to do all the research (It's been at least 4 years since I've even looked at hardware specs. It took me a few days to figure out what the different PCs speeds were an their relative merits), or even if I could match the kind of specs a refurbished could get me. I haven't even done the research to check it out. Can I build a Q6700 6MB etc. for 850$? If so, perhaps I should let all y'all do the research for me and let me know how I can match that Future Shop refurbished. I'd be into that, if someone were to guide me, or it was a group project or something.
:D

A TF challenge? Beat the refurbished at the same price? Who's in?

d

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom