Can my computer handle this card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReFiller

Solid State Member
Hello. Could my computer run this certain ATI Radeon card? Here is the link to the card itself:

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Here are my computer specs:

Sony VGCRB40 Specifications - Intel Pentium 4, System

I heard there could be problems with the power supply, and how it might not be enough. I think it had to do something with PCU and watts. I'm planning on playing games like Half-Life 2, TF2, CoD4, etc. My computer can't run any of those, and crashes half the time. I know how to install a graphics card, and I just want to make sure this card is compatible with no problem.

For example, my friend said that the PCI slots (I think) differ and the card can only run with half its power. Not sure, though.

Thanks a ton for the help!

That pulls me to the homepage, and that's not very specific.. got anymore specs?

I'm incredibly sorry! Here is the actual link. I must have copied the other on accident.

Sony VGCRB40 Specifications - Intel Pentium 4, System

This is apparently a PCI x16 loaded computer. I know the card in the link I posted earlier is fit for PCI 2.0, but I'm just wondering how it would perform on my computer. Could it run games easily? Any information is helpful. I'm not exactly the most tech savvy person ever.

Well you'd have a bit of bottleneck with the P4, but it would work...

And by a bit I mean a lot man

Device Type Power Supply
Voltage Required AC 110/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )
Power Consumption Operational 305 Watt
Installed Qty 1

ATI Radeon HD 4850 System Requirements
o PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
o 450 Watt or greater power supply with 75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express® power connector recommended (550 Watt and two 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)

Certified Power Supplies

I knew I forgot to mention something in my previous post...

Get an EA550 for $40

Well you'd have a bit of bottleneck with the P4, but it would work...

And by a bit I mean a lot man

I don't quite get what you mean. I'm not too familiar with computer slang, so what did you mean by the P4?

And I'm guessing that that last statement means this card would work out just fine for my computer. If that is so, I can't wait to get my hands on it. :)

P4 = Pentium 4..

But it works if you upgrade your Power Supply to the Antec Earthwatts 500w I recommended above..

Oh. So I guess it wouldn't run without a better power supply? I knew there was some catch to this. Oh well, I guess if this is the case I'll buy a slightly cheaper graphics card to make up for the cost of the new power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom