I'm not sure what to think

Status
Not open for further replies.

HjFUN

Baseband Member
First of all I have a BIOSTAR TForce TF720, a Athlon 500+ BE OC'd at 3.0 and 2 GB of OCZ Platinum Revision 2 RAM running XP

Last night I was messing around and decided to see if I could get the cpu over 3GHz. I just tried to see if I could get it to 3.2 but when I set it up there was a BIOS error and I quickly reset. When I turned it back on the same error was there and it was unresponsive and I had to turn the power supply off. When I turned it back on I was able to set the clock back down to the stock setting of 2.6 and it booted normally. Then I put It back at 3.0 and there were still no problems and I went to bed. Today I started to play morrowind and when I started it up it was only getting 5 FPS! I had the graphics in creased using various mods but I still was getting around 30 fps with the on board graphics. I fiddled around for a good while with all the setting and even reverted the quality back to the standard quality but to no avail. Even in other games the frame rate is horrible (HL2 it flashes between 1 and 34 to 64) I put the settings in the nVIDIA control panel to performance and that helped a little. I then updated my BIOS hoping that would help but it didn't and I put it back down to 2.8. I then updated my graphics drivers but nothing else has improved really.

A few more things the drag movement or windows has gotten really wonky and sometimes the sound clicks and pops during certain intensities of noise

When you oc too high instead of simply hitting the reset button the best move is simply shut everything down and simply clear the cmos not go for a bios update. All you had to do for that was remove the battery on the board for about a half minute or so followed by re-entering the correct time and date when you see the first bios screen come up.

Hoipefully you didn't hurt the cpu by trying to go too high and seeing a hard boot. That may have also caused a bad sector or two to form on the hard drive. Try running disk check and the drive manufacturer's diagnostic tool.

The check disk utility is the drive diagnostics for Windows itself. Which drive sees the OS on it? One blog seeing links for different brands of drives is seen at Hard Drive Diagnostic and Repair Tools for downloading that brand's own tools. The hard drive itself will have some to identify who made it even when taken out of a prebuild.

The one from the dvr is a Westren digital but the older one is a Quantum Fireball but they stopped making HDDs long ago

It isn't anything with the drives I'm almost certain now

wow thats amazing
I ran a performance test and everything was good but my graphics we're terrible

Sorry for all the multi-posts

I think when I tried to "superclock" the cpu it somehow blew out my gpu and now it works (barely) but luckily I am expecting a video card for x-mas

You likely overheated the graphics chip on the board there when ocing without adequate cooling. I'm to see you will getting into a separate card since onboard is never that great for gaming to start with.

One thing most don't realize is that keeping the board temps down will also see lower cpu temps. Likewise when ocing the cpu and gaming with onboard graphics the board will tend to run a bit warmer. At least with the drive tools you can readily rule those out. Those are good to keep onhand anyways especially with that older Quantam drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom