I like a bit of bling in my build CPU cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
best cooler you can buy atm, alos comes with best thermal paste. look 'bling' enough for you?:rolleyes:

I don't know where you came up with this claim that this is the "best" cooler out there.

First off I'd like to state that I oppose the use of huge heatsinks because of a lot of bad experience I've had with several huge Thermaltake heatsinks I've owned. And mind you, these were expensive and quality built full copper heatsinks. Not this inferior quality Sunbeam product. (It's the "best" heatsink you can get under 40 dollars. The hassle of putting a huge heatsink on your motherboard hoping that it would clear and also the extra stress it puts on your hardware is just not worth it. This is why I still use my stock cooler on my OC'd machine.

I am lucky to live in the Bay Area because I am blessed with low ambient temperature. This is why I could run my e6300 (1.83GHZ) @ 2.8GHZ on the stock cooler and still keep close to stock temperatures. (Please also take into account that this is a rather outdated processor now and a lot of the new dual/quad core processors that are currently out need more cooling at stock speeds than the HSF that comes with it.) Do you research before making any purchases. And for those who think I'm just talking out of my ***, here is proof: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/RockyCCS/tempsz.jpg. This is a picture of what my computer looks like currently: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/RockyCCS/rig2008.jpg As you can see, it's using the stock intel HSF that came with the CPU.

I'm not posting to show off what I have. My build is already two years outdated, I'm trying to make a point that you have to do your research before you make purchases or you might end up purchasing products that weren't up to par with your expectations.

I was mislead by the claim that this Sunbeam HSF was the 'best" cooler out there so I clicked on the link. My first reaction was "WOW, this looks like a complete POS." I had to give it the benefit of the doubt so I looked through all the reviews with people claiming that they got 20 degree drops on their q6600 over stock cooling. This is because the stock cooling that comes with the q6600 is not capable of cooling the processor well. The difference in temperatures between putting a mid sized full copper HSF and putting this gigantic monster HSF that looks like it is made out of a combination of thin aluminum and copper heatpipes (horrible idea), is minimal. Sure enough I scrolled down far enough to see the two and one star reviews that confirmed my theories. This HSF combo has very low build quality, bending of the heatpipes and fin is common, and performance difference between this heatsink and other small aftermarket heatsinks are minimal.

Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt that you will get better cooling with a giant heatsink over the stock heatsink, but how much? You will definitely turn a few heads at lan parties when people see your computer. But you'll also earn yourself a few snickers from the more well-informed bunch. The old TF community I used to know encouraged each other to use QUALITY products. If these are the products that are being promoted amongst the community now, I am very scared. It's common knowledge that "you gotta pay to play." You can't cheap out on anything. There is only so much performance that HSF combos can give you. There's a point where you have to move up to a higher performance cooling system (water cooling).

I'm also aware that money is usually the biggest issue. This, like 80+% of builds, is probably built around a budget. I understand this because I am a student myself and I don't make close to enough money to support a full water-cooled build. That's why I did my research and made the decisions to purchase what I did two years ago and I am still happy with my build today. In conclusion, save yourself the money and possible multiple RMA's of buying a huge heatsink. It's NOT worth it, especially not this Sunbeam "Core Contact Freezer."

If you are set on buying an aftermarket HSF combo, I'd like to point you towards the right direction: Newegg.com - Zalman Tech Co., Ltd, CPU Fans & Heatsinks, Fans & Heatsinks

Rockyz....I have had personal experience with the Sunbeamtech cooler before it was even reviewed and can tell you that it is indeed a quality, good performing cooler. Then, a few weeks later reviews began pouring out and they have all been glowing..showing that in many cases it beats the Thermalright Ultra 120-Extreme...the previous air cooling king.

Also, Sunbeamtech is the parent company of Tuniq...and we all know what an excellent reputation Tuniq have. As for fitting, it is a bit tricky..but the system is actually quite clever and it fits on a P5Q-E which has some pretty beefy cooling around the CPU socket....and besides...show me a S775 mounting system from a TOP performing cooler that is a breeze to fit...

And what's wrong with thin aluminum fins and copper heatpipes? Seriously...before you judge other people's recommendations you should actually do some research regarding the Core contact freezer...and I'm not talking about newegg reviews.

I own the core contact and I absolutely love it. I have it with TX-2 and a Scythe Slipstream strapped to it. I got 35C at 4ghz yesterday when i was doing 3dmark runs. Don't tell me its not a good cooler.

If you are set on buying an aftermarket HSF combo, I'd like to point you towards the right direction: Newegg.com - Zalman Tech Co., Ltd, CPU Fans & Heatsinks, Fans & Heatsinks

Perhaps you should do a little research. The Sunbeam cools far better than any of the Zalmans. Also it is most definitely worth getting a aftermarket heat sink if you plan on overlooking, my cpu is idling 10c cooler at 2.8ghz on my ACF7 Pro than it did on the useless stock cooler at 2ghz. I would call that a significant difference and the Core Contact is far better than the ACF7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom