PC purely for playing mulimedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

dude112

In Runtime
Hello all,

I've just purchased a full hd tv and want to build a PC purely to function as a multimedia player to connect to it.
I would use it only for playing dvd's and videofiles like xvid to mkv. It needs to be able to play hd video files fluently. Most of them encoded in h264 these days.
Software used to play files would be Media player classic and PowerDVD (got it for free with my 4850). This is what i use on my computer at least. Maybe I should better use windows media center?
Video files would be played off of discs so no big hdd required. Just enough for windows and media players and codecs.
Other requirements would be silence and small.

Edit: Just found out it's called a HTPC (Home Theater Personal Computer).

Build I found:
Case: Silverstone SST-LC17B ~90
Mobo: MSI P7NGM Digital (integrated Geforce 9300+Realtek 888C) ~€100,-
Proc: Intel Core 2 Duo E5200 ~€70
Cooler: Scythe Ninja Mini ~€30
Ram: Kingston 2GB PC2-6400 ~20
HDD: a WD HDD
Psu: Corsair CMPSU-450VX ~60
Blu-ray: LG GGC-H20L (not sure if i want to go blu-ray but am considering it) ~€100
Tv card: Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1100 ~€50
Remote: Pinnacle PCTV Remote Kit ~€20

This build is a bit too expensive for me though.
Ideally around €100 but I suppose that's a bit unrealistic. Maybe 200-300?

Your input would be much appreciated,

Cheers

I think the Hauppauge comes with it's own remote. Also if your budget is 200-300 then spending 100 on a blu-ray player might be a bit much. Other than that it all seems compatible at least and the scythe looks like it will fit in the lc17.

Yea, the build I put up there was just copied from another site. I was thinking of just going dvd but blu ray might be coming up soon.
I just need it to play hd stuff. If you could recommend some cheaper stuff...
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom