Need upgrade advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, this might be kind of a dumb question but would I experience any choppiness or framerate issues from using the monitor I showed you guys just to watch movies and stuff because of my video card?

I haven't actually gotten the monitor yet, which is why I'm asking.

are you sure you are overclocking it correctly? i am quite sure a 939 chip on an nforce4 mobo will overclock more than 300 mhz.
but, you shouldnt have to go much higher to relieve any bottleneck, if there even was one.
a gtx260 would be pushing it, i'd go with an hd4850.

I wasn't the best overclocker, but I'm fairly sure I was doing it correctly through the BIOS. My motherboard has both an automatic and manual OC feature, but I opted for the manual and tweaked the settings myself. Currently at 228 x 11 multiplier and anything above that is very unstable. Granted, I'm only using case fans but I don't think that's the problem.

no probably not. try the auto OC and see what it does. if it doesnt get any higher than what you currently have, get back to me and i can point you in the right direction.

Yeah, I guess I forgot to mention that the auto was my first choice. Between I believe the four different settings, the gap in performance was too big between each to see where I was OCing too much. Luckily I found a good balance in the middle at 2.5GHz and I'm running just as cool as if I don't OC at around 36C. I think my limitations to OCing is because of my cheap mobo.

most of the time what holds back an AMD overclock are these things:
a) ram is set too high/overclocked/too tight of timings/unstable
b) HT bus is running too high (especially on a 939)
c) not enough core voltage
d) cpu multi is too high
what are your settings for each of these? i see the 11x cpu multi, so disregard that i dont need that info lol obviously

Not sure, as I haven't checked in like over a year. I do know that I didn't touch any of the other OC settings other than the CPU Multiplier. So I think it's safe to say everything else was at default. Feel free to look up some of the stuff in my sig if you need to know their capabilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom