Building A New Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bouryokudan

Baseband Member
Hi, my HP is getting kinda slow and I was wondering what I could make with not too much money. I saw this in the September 2004 issue of PC Gamer.

Mid-Range System
CPU: 2.4GHz P4 or AMD equivalent
RAM: 1GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 5950 or ATI Radeon 9800 Pro/XT

I don't want this to be too expensive (Maybe $750-$1000, I'd rather stay nearer to $750 if I can)

So can anyone tell me what parts as well as the case I should get? Which CPU? What kind of ram? And one of the Video Card's unless there is an alternative?

I really need to know what a good case is though, thanks.

Also would this system be good enough to play DOOM 3 and at what resolution?

Alright man, here's my recommendation for your system:

CPU- AMD Athlon 64 3000: $175
Motherboard- Asus K8V SE Deluxe: $115
RAM- 1 GB (2x512 MB) Corsair XMS PC3200: $228
Hard Drive- Western Digital 120 GB 7200 RPM SATA: $93
Video Card- eVGA nVidia 6800: $283
Optical Drive- Sony DVD/CD-RW Combo 52x32x52x16: $41
Case- Antec Sonata 380W: $99

For a grand total of $1034. I realize it is a little bit over the $1000 budget, but if you could save a little bit longer, that would be a really sweet set up.

:::EDIT::: That would beat the crap out of the set up you saw in the magazine.

Agreed, PizzatheHut's suggestion is nice, I would tell you to save a little more and go with his suggestion. Maybe a cheaper case and some value ram will get the price down a bit, although I don't like the idea of value ram.

Ya i would say go with a cheaper case...i used the Raidmax Cobra i think its called...it has a 420 watt power supply and its a pretty sweet looking case

I got mine for like 65 bux

You can also save a few bucks buy using your old psu and case.. that's what I did when I upgraded my comp.

The most important things are MB, cpu, mem, and if you're into games a good videocard.

Depends on what you use your comp for... if you use it for school or work and basic internet, pizza's suggestions are going overboard. If you need it for hardcore performance then you need to spend that 1G.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom