$500 gaming build suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would have to purchase a new OS. You cannot use the CD key that came with a pre-built except for reinstalling on that same machine. As per the OEM license, you can only use the CD key on one machine. If it were a retail bought OS, you could switch it to as many PC's as you want, provided it is only installed on one at any one point.

a phone call to microsoft solves that problem though. my last copy of XP i had installed on AT LEAST 4 or 5 rigs at the same time.

The RAM I suggested has better timings, but that will do fine since you need 2x2.

Well what would be better, going with the new ram or going with a new mobo and using the old ram?

a phone call to microsoft solves that problem though. my last copy of XP i had installed on AT LEAST 4 or 5 rigs at the same time.

So you call their tech support and say what, "hey let me install my xp on more computers." What are they going to do? Would you elaborate?

since no one has came up with a solution

grab the monitor listed above for 130
grab this for 250
grab psu for 40
card 60

better than nothing :p

I think he is willing to foot a little extra cash than do that. Thanks though.

Still, what is the best between the 9600 gso, 9600 gt, and 4670?

It doesn't sound like the $500 budget is extremely strict... get a different board and either get 2gigs of ddr2 800 4-4-4-12ish and add more later, or get 4 right away, doesnt matter.

idk about the video cards... i assume they'll offer similar performance, but let someone else answer

So you call their tech support and say what, "hey let me install my xp on more computers." What are they going to do? Would you elaborate?

lol, no. i always said i updated the firmware in a piece of hardware. like a dvd rom. or you can tell them you updated the bios of your mobo. any kind of bios/firmware update, just dont tell them that you are using new mobo/cpu (they will ask if you have changed any hardware..."no" is the answer). they will give you a new key that will work with your install.
works every time.

9600GT is strongest, with the HD 4670 and 9600GSO tied in most cases but slightly behind the 9600GT, except in games where their Respective companies pad it so their performance is better.. (9600GSO would be better in Crysis and Oblivion, HD 4670 is better in AMD Optimized games like GRID)

lol, no. i always said i updated the firmware in a piece of hardware. like a dvd rom. or you can tell them you updated the bios of your mobo. any kind of bios/firmware update, just dont tell them that you are using new mobo/cpu (they will ask if you have changed any hardware..."no" is the answer). they will give you a new key that will work with your install.
works every time.

All he has to do is call and say "I updated my bios, and now windows doesn't work. Can you give me a new cd key.?" Is that all their is to it along with saying no to the new hardware?

It doesn't sound like the $500 budget is extremely strict... get a different board and either get 2gigs of ddr2 800 4-4-4-12ish and add more later, or get 4 right away, doesnt matter.

I'm not really sure how strict it is, but with the monitor and the OS it is over 600, and he seems to be willing to pay that, but I don't know how much farther he'll go. Could you think of another cheap mobo that would have 4 slots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom