$500 gaming build suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Druid

Fully Optimized
Ok, this a build for the same guy I talked about in my last topic, but people seemed to lose interest in that one and stopped replying. His budget has changed anyway. He would like a gaming computer for $500. He has a mouse and keyboard, but he needs a monitor, case, and every other component that a computer needs. I'm not sure if he will need an OS. Can he use the cd key he got from his last pre-built computer if I create a bootable windows disc for him? I'm sure it would work, but will xp be valid and fully functional if he is using the same key as before? If not, he will need an OS too. Anyway, I need some build suggestions. Include every component if you can, dvd burner, psu cooler, and all that as well.

70 - Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

55 - Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

17 - Newegg.com - OCZ SLI-Ready 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

80 - Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100255L Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

50 - Newegg.com - Antec earthwatts EA500 500W ATX12V v2.0 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

42 - Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

35 - Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Elite 330 RC-330-KKN1-GP Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

25 - Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

90 - Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic SP1 64-bit English 1pk for System Builders DSP OEI DVD - Operating Systems

0 - Free Computer Monitor

After mail in rebates: $464

Getting a monitor and an OS with a build for $500 is unrealistic. If you don't need an OS, you have $126 to spend on a monitor, then you can get this: Newegg.com - Hanns·G HX-191DPB Black 19" 5ms LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1 Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors

Just trying to think of ways to cut down on costs, this is what I'm coming up with:
You could easily go with a cheaper video card, but you're calling this a "gaming build", so...
smaller hard drive, ~20...
yeah basically a $500 build - $130 monitor is a $370 build - $90 OS = $280. Don't think I can quite cut it down to $280 without telling you to go buy an Acer or Compaq from Circuit City, or a Dell Vostro.

I see at least 3 free working 17" CRT monitors on craigslist every day... and I don't live in a particularly large city. So you need to decide how much you want an LCD.

Well, $464 leaves a little room for adjustment, so would this processor: Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops be compatible with that motherboar? It is a decent step up for $13.

And is that card better than this one: Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N860-TR GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
for $5 more?

Also, I'm maybe thinking of doubling that ram and adding another $17. Would it even be worth it, or would this just be a waste?

That would bring the total price up to $499.

I'm still waiting on that OS question, but if he doesn't need it, I can probably get him to go like $40 over for that monitor.

Yeah, the E5200 would work, upgrade to that.
And yeah, that RAM is an amazing price with the MIR... double up.

Depends if you want to save that extra money to put towards a nicer monitor... but both of those would be good upgrades.

Better than the 4670? Thought that was doing pretty well/price per performance.

You would have to purchase a new OS. You cannot use the CD key that came with a pre-built except for reinstalling on that same machine. As per the OEM license, you can only use the CD key on one machine. If it were a retail bought OS, you could switch it to as many PC's as you want, provided it is only installed on one at any one point.

The RAM I suggested has better timings, but that will do fine since you need 2x2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom