Need your advice (AMD platform)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichM499

Daemon Poster
Ok since i re-found this place about a month and a half ago, i've been in a constant 2 upgrades-per month (or more) cycle to get up to date.

my system at that time was Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2.2ghz, Geforce 7600gs AGP, 1gb craptacular off-brand non-matched 512x2 sticks, and an Asrock mobo (which suprisingly the asrock mobo is a decent little mobo for its time in the skt754 era)

The first upgrade was an athlon x2 3800+ (ocd to 2.8ghz but i had nothing but issues and file corruption for some **** reason, it was stable according to prime95, go figure) the same 7600gs, and 2gigs of Corsair (4x512mb) XMS ddr400 on an Asus a8v-x mobo.

The second was the one i currently use, Athlon x2 5400+ (@ 3.3ghz stable=), 2gigs Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 @ ddr2 900, and onboard video on a Foxconn a7vmx-k *rock solid board*.

The onboard video was because im going to upgrade (today! gotta love paychecks).

Ok so, i have a choice.

I know for a fact im getting some OCZ ddr2 1066 5-5-5-15, so i can run it at 4-4-4-12(or close) @ ddr2 950.**TODAY**

I know for a fact im getting a video card soon, if not today, then next friday.
(actually the video card i was getting is the 4850 in my sig, i'll fix that later, but i've been hovering over the "buy now" button on Newegg since i woke up)

So this is my question:

I know for a fact i want a 790gx motherboard because the 780v im using now just doesnt deliver enough power, and i believe i'll get better overclocking results out of a 790gx board.

I know for a fact i want a HD48XX video card, 4830 4850 doesnt matter- same difference to me because i dont play crysis @ huge resolutions, i just want a powerful card should i decide to play crysis @ 1024x768 high settings or 1280x1024 with medium settings.

So do you have any suggestions on a 790gx board, and HD48xx card that i should get?

Should i buy the video card this friday, and wait a few weeks for a 790gx board, or should i get a 790gx board first, and wait for the video card?

For now i only use this system for internet use, and to test overclocking potential.

With ... certain unmentionable games... that really dont require high-end video cards, but they DO require maximum system memory bandwidth, and raw core processor speed.

Im not sure which path to take, i know within the next 3 weeks i'll have both, but i dont know whether to take a left, or take a right.

I was hoping for your input.

The onboard video i have now is a hd3100 and it cant even play quake4 @ 1024x768 with high settings, i think the people that reviewed the card on newegg must have been stoned.... or i guess they have different ideas of 'playable'. But 60fps means nothing if it drops to 6fps in a tense situation with lots of Strogg shooting me in the ***

the HD3300 should dramatically improve this situation, but the new video card is going to eliminate it all together.

So i guess im asking for your personal opinion on the 790gx based board, and 4830-4850 video card, which one to get, and why.

Thanks for your info, and i plan to overclock the processor to the limit like i have it now @ 3.3ghz.

Rich you live in the States. You have no reason not to go 4850 lol. Sapphire 4850, not the best cooler, but a GREAT deal.

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Or for a little more go with this card

Newegg.com - MSI R4850-512M Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

These are the boards you should be looking at

Newegg.com - AMD 790GX, AMD, AM2+/AM2, AMD Motherboards, Motherboards, Computer Hardware

This board looks very nice

Newegg.com - DFI LANPARTY DK 790GX-M2RS AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Oh and I m ordering my first 4830 today.

Yeah Gurusan is right, if your going to get ram. You shouldn't get anything less then 4GB. Trust me before you know it, 2GB won't cut it anymore. With Quads 4GB should be mandatory lol. If you really want to see Quad multitasking shine you WILL need more then 2 gigs of ram.

well the DFI lanparty is probably an excellent board.

I have had great experiences with lanparty boards in the past.

But the yellow is going to clash with my blue color scheme=(

I just bought 6 blue fans just so i could make everything shiney lol....

well the DFI lanparty is probably an excellent board.

I have had great experiences with lanparty boards in the past.

But the yellow is going to clash with my blue color scheme=(

I just bought 6 blue fans just so i could make everything shiney lol....

pfftttt....... go with this board instead then.

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-DS4H AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

I got a side window on my case right now, but I never get to see anything due to the HUGE Sunbeam core contact freezer.

Or an ever better route would be to buy my msi k9a2 and amd 9850 lol. Best mb for amd and 2nd best amd chip :)

i'd go with the foxconn or gigabyte. maybe even the MSI or asus.
foxconn fiorst choice though. my evga 590 was the same as a foxconn 590 and it was an OC monster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom