Idea: Copper CPU Head?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes if I could now only obtain a diamond crystal the twice the size of my fist so that I may make it a heatsink! Man if I were rich I'd do that shit lol and you know they'd be able to make a perfect smooth base

The head spreader is aluminum because if it was copper, the heat would stay in it and therefore still damage the cpu, whereas if it is aluminum, the heat gets transfared to the copper heatsink faster.

Nubius- ona heat pipe type of heatsink... wheather the fins are copper or aluminum, thy are not molded together, thy are welded or soldered(witchever i dont know) after the fact. so im not shur myself, but i wouldnt take your word for it.. if someone knows a link or correct information, please post it.

and what Nubius was saying about diamond, is correct(mostly common sence- once u know about diamonds at least) diamond's are pritty much the answer to everything (almost, Im not joking, lol, im not)

if u didnt know... diamonds can be grown ina lab environment, to any shape or size, thy of course wouldnt apply this to production equipment like CPU's, obviousely cause the cost(and prolly resourcess).

maybe future procs will be make from home grown diamonds :D hehe. thatl be nice, but will eb a while b4 we start seeing that.

Well actualy, if diamonds became more common, through being manmade, then they wouldn't be as expensive, but by then there will be much better ways of cooling, such as liquid helium, which is cooler than liquid nitrogen

ya tru yon, but this is dealing with temps taht are WAY below zero, then u have problems with the heating in ur house, so that price will go up :D hehe. Ud hafta wear jackets in ur own house. hehe. And good point about the alu on the cpu head, thats what i was trying to say. makes sense now, hehe

Copper heat sinks conduct upto 3x more than aluminum. The dissipation is about the same. The big reasons for built pcs to usually include aluminum is cost and need. Most systems dont need copper. Before arguing they do, because I always have a heat problem, its actually NOT the heatsink, but rather the fan. You also would need more airflow for copper, if used for its intended reason. You would use copper when there are HUGE amounts of heat (dual xeon, wildcat and oxygen type power house vidcards, etc), and then its not because of the disipation ratio, but due more because its maitaining ALOT more thermal heat then most normal heat sinks. So to let you know, copper is better in all aspects, but usually not needed, just a better fan is needed with more flow per cubic. Also, paste helps transfer the heat and provides a cooler solution for the sink to sit on instead of directly on the CPU. As far as the fins, they are there to increase total surface area. So, it comes down to cost and if its even necessary.

killians45 said:
Copper heat sinks conduct upto 3x more than aluminum. The dissipation is about the same. The big reasons for built pcs to usually include aluminum is cost and need. Most systems dont need copper. Before arguing they do, because I always have a heat problem, its actually NOT the heatsink, but rather the fan. You also would need more airflow for copper, if used for its intended reason. You would use copper when there are HUGE amounts of heat (dual xeon, wildcat and oxygen type power house vidcards, etc), and then its not because of the disipation ratio, but due more because its maitaining ALOT more thermal heat then most normal heat sinks. So to let you know, copper is better in all aspects, but usually not needed, just a better fan is needed with more flow per cubic. Also, paste helps transfer the heat and provides a cooler solution for the sink to sit on instead of directly on the CPU. As far as the fins, they are there to increase total surface area. So, it comes down to cost and if its even necessary.

Well said and intelligent post;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom