Video Card help....

Status
Not open for further replies.

skylinegtrv98

Baseband Member
Well I built my last computer with the idea that it would be a good HTPC for me to watch my movies and stuff on...I have it connected to my Flat panel tv via HDMI, and sofar the onboard graphics chipset has been more than adequate for what I have been doing..It easily runs 720p in my room, and 1080p when I hook it up out in my living room...well actually everything has been working out soo well for me that I am now thinking about getting a video card for it so I can try to play some games on it....Here is the card I was interested in....

Newegg.com - POWERCOLOR HD2600XT 256MB GDDR4 Radeon HD 2600XT 256MB 128-bit GDDR4 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Just to let you know I am not a heavy gamer well atleast on my PC...I do most of my gaming on my PS3, and that is why I am not looking for a really expensive card...Mostly I want to be able to make sure I can play the Need For Speed Undercover, Grid, and some older racing games.....

here are my computers current specs:

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - Rosewill Stallion Series RD500-2DB 500W ATX12V Power Supply - Power Supplies

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

if i left anything out that you need to know just let me know and I can update...

I was just wanting to know if it was a good card to get or if there is something better that I should be looking at, and make sure that I will be able to play the games I am looking to play...thanks in advance

While I don't necessarily dabble in ATi cards, I heard that the 1680 series or some thing was pretty good. If your getting a decent picture through your onboard graphics, then that's great. That set up will be pretty cool to run a seperate monitor through your graphics card and play pc games. Are you going to run the games on your monitors?

Also, please note, that it helps a bit more to know the model of your televisions. You can see things such as the maximum resolution when you look up the specifications on them and also match the correct card for the best in optimal performance. I ran a 7600GT on a 32'' Sony Wega CRT. It didn't fit 4:3 but the picture was really good running my component setup. If I wanted to get the best out of my picture i'd have to change cards.

..... That set up will be pretty cool to run a seperate monitor through your graphics card and play pc games. Are you going to run the games on your monitors?

Also, please note, that it helps a bit more to know the model of your televisions. You can see things such as the maximum resolution when you look up the specifications on them and also match the correct card for the best in optimal performance. I ran a 7600GT on a 32'' Sony Wega CRT. It didn't fit 4:3 but the picture was really good running my component setup. If I wanted to get the best out of my picture i'd have to change cards.

well the tv I currently have my HTPC hooked up to is a 42" Hitachi 42HDS69 plasma tv with a native resolution of 1024 x 1080 (1080i)....However I just have my computer outputting 1280 x 720 (720p)...It can handle higher resolution inputs, but it makes it hard to see from far away because things get pretty small since I am sitting farther away from the screen...my other tv is a 46" Sony Bravia LCD with full 1920 x 1080 (1080p) resolution...

I was planning on only running the games on one tv at a time...so if it were in my bed room or living room I would only be playing on that screen at that time....

I just want to make sure that I have a card that will give me the ability to make sure I can play the games I want without having any problems

same thing with most technology, increase in power effiecientcy while the memory bank increases. I remember memory 'banking' from the 90's and my old A+ book. but yes, usually with these things you get more energy out and less taken in.

makes power supplies use less and become cheaper.

GDDR4 is faster than GDDR2, of course. Since you don't plan on playing stuff like Crysis, you shouldn't have a problem with the speed difference.

If you can squeeze $9 more and no MIR...

Newegg.com - HIS Hightech H465FS512P Radeon HD 4650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

The 2xxx series ran very hot. The 4650 will outperform the 2600 and run cooler to boot.

Ya i was going to suggest something like this too. And depending on what your budget allows, going to a 4850 would be your best bet if you can squeeze it. 1080p is a fairly high resolution. Its ~roughly~ the same size as a 24" computer monitor, so it will tax a video card pretty good.

Newegg.com - POWERCOLOR AX4850 512MD3-DH Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
This card even has a HDMI port built into to it so you dont have to use the wonky adapter.

Oooo, just noticed it also has displayport built in. Neat.

Ya i was going to suggest something like this too. And depending on what your budget allows, going to a 4850 would be your best bet if you can squeeze it. 1080p is a fairly high resolution. Its ~roughly~ the same size as a 24" computer monitor, so it will tax a video card pretty good.

Newegg.com - POWERCOLOR AX4850 512MD3-DH Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
This card even has a HDMI port built into to it so you dont have to use the wonky adapter.

Oooo, just noticed it also has displayport built in. Neat.

So does this one and its $40 cheaper.

Newegg.com - POWERCOLOR AX4830 512MD3-H Radeon HD 4830 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom