6GHz Phenom II Overclock on Dry Ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
6GHz Phenom II Overclock on Dry Ice

PC Perspective says AMD's Phenom II has enough headroom built into it that 5GHz – 6GHz speeds are attainable using a little extreme cooling like dry ice or LN2. How do they know this? They went straight to the source and watched as AMD put on a little demonstration showing the Phenom II running at clock speeds up to 6GHz.

The first desktop products are expected to hit 3 GHz at the top end, but AMD has been hinting that the Phenom IIs can do a lot more in the hands of an enthusiast. The first leaks were that the Phenom II could hit 4 GHz on air cooling alone, though we obviously wonder how extreme that air cooling is. Well today AMD had some actual demonstrations at their gathering, and the Phenom II was able to hit 5 GHz at 1.6v by using dry ice cooling.

i doubt this is really valid... i mean, yeah, they may have reached 5GHz, but they would have had a modified board and one of the guys who engineered the chip setting it up... plus the fact that there's no validator leads me to believe its mostly just speculation...

and the fact that the article cant tell us what x is (5.x GHz... x=???) when they talk about ln2 makes me think that they haven't completely killed that cold bug, else we'd have some exact numbers

i know im being a bit skeptical, but i wanna see some hard proof... not just hear say

It's still under NDA, so no CPU-Z verification, screenshots or photos.

I am impressed, though not entirely surprised.

For one, the Silicon-Germanium transistors IBM + AMD developed look like they have a lot of potential (IBM was able to get a 500GHZ clock from Silicon-Germanium transistors)

1.6VCore is what they used. But is it safe to use a 1.6VCore 24/7?

Or I could just drop it down to something like 3.7ghz instead.

1.55Vcore seems reasonable amount of Voltage.

Not entirely sure how the AMD chips respond to high voltage, but if it's anything like the Intel 45nm then running 24/7 above 1.45-1.48v is not really a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom