I am rebuilding a new puter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidJC

Baseband Member
I have decided to give my old computer to my brother and build a new computer for myself.

I am going to be purchasing every thing except a new sound card and monitor.

So far I know I want to use this chip ---- Intel Core i7 920

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

And a 4870 graphics card. But so far that is all I know I want. I am not a big over clocker, I prefer to just buy new stuff when my old stuff gets dated.

I have been out of the country for a few weeks so I am out of the loop completely, if anyone is gracious enough to let me in on some of the latest stuff that would be awesome.

Also I dont SLI or Crossfire, so it's not a big deal to have a board that does that. And I was also considering buying my brother a poor mans LCD monitor, some pretty cheap, because it's already getting pretty darn expensive as a Christmas gift as it is.

if ur not going to crossfire i recommend a 4870x2 card, its crossfire without crossfire lol...

if ur not going to crossfire i recommend a 4870x2 card, its crossfire without crossfire lol...

Well yeah, but for me I think 4870x2 is overkill, I don't want to spend a fortune on the VERY best stuff. I am always a little thrifty. Unless prices have dropped on the 4870 a lot or something?

"rebuilding" and "new computer"

and the i7 is...

never mind...

I am a fan of the P45 style boards, Gigabyte making my favorite types, select the one that meets your needs (i.e. raid support, enviromentaly friendly, dual PCIe and what not).
HDD's are dirt cheap these days, one of the most recommended is the 650giger from WD, seagates coming in a close second.
It's hard to pick bad ram if you know what speed you want. one of the advantages of the P45 chip is that it takes full advantage of 1333clocks but it can also bog down if your using more than 2 sticks.

I'm sure you'll get about 2 pages of great items listed here and I'm about to go to lunch so I'm not gona link any from newegg =P.

Oh! i7 compatible with p45? duno, just thought of that

Well I have looked into the i7 for performance benchmarks, and for it's price it puts out good numbers. And I want to have the next gen board, so that later I can plop other CPUs in this mobo. So yeah I know that the i7 is not considered at the moment to be a hardcore gamer chip, but at the same time its slightly faster in some areas and slightly slower in others, so really not so bad.

and the i7 920 is cheap enough.

If you have a local microcenter you can pick up the i7 for 289.99 w/ the asus p6t for 309 w/ an extra $20 off for the combo.

you didnt put a budget so im assuming you dont have one...:

Corsair PSU:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Mobo:
Newegg.com - ASUS Rampage II Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Processor:
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

RAM:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS3 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

ATI 4870 (sapphire) 1 gig:
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

30gb Solid State disk for OS and possibly a game or 2 that you play a lot...people have reported stuttering so you might wanna go with another, but still...:
Newegg.com - OCZ Core Series V2 OCZSSD2-2C30G 2.5" 30GB SATA II & Mini USB 2.0 Port Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks

640gb Western Digital hard drive for everything else (music, movies, games, etc):
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Blu-ray burner, has all the dvd and cd stuff also:
Newegg.com - LG Black 6X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 6X Blu-ray DVD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Internal Blu-ray Burner 6X Blu-ray Disc Burner & HD DVD-ROM Drive Model GGW-H20LK - Blu-Ray Burners

case, im not going to recommend as everyone has their preference.

about $1776 with california tax, not including shipping on items that arent free shipping. depending on your case, possibly adding 100-200 more....it'll be a beast though :D

i'm sure he doesnt care abuot a solid state drive if he just said he doesnt like bleeding edge ;)

if ur not an overclocker and are looking to save money

go with

msi platinum lga1366
3x1 gb ddr3 1600 (from g.skill)
500gb 32mb cache western digital or seagate 7200.11 hdd's

i'm sure he doesnt care abuot a solid state drive if he just said he doesnt like bleeding edge ;)

if ur not an overclocker and are looking to save money

go with

msi platinum lga1366
3x1 gb ddr3 1600 (from g.skill)
500gb 32mb cache western digital or seagate 7200.11 hdd's

how is that g skill memory? i use the corsair (except just 2 gigs...) and think it works very well..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom