Closed water cooling loop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously just use a fillport like guru said. Really no use of having a closed loop with the use of a bucket.

or, air cooling.
if your not churning out heat like a furnace there are some pretty bawla air coolers out there now that would eliminate those problems.

it will work... you're gonna have to do some tests and engineer it well tho... of course, as gurusan said an extra 50 bucks and you can have the proper setup.

and btw, water does expand and contract with heat (ie its reaches its maximum density at 4C, either side its density is lower... lower density means greater volume), but it is incompressible... but no, this expansion/contraction won't be a problem (it isnt in any other setup... this one just has lots of room to expand and contract)...

your main problems will be corrosion and contamination, because there are gonna be alot of airborne minerals and other contaminants that are gonna hinder your coolants heat transfer ability... so personally, i wouldn't recommend this method

It won't work.

Tubing is porous and coolant will evaporate at a relatively surprising rate.

There are ways around this like using radiator fluid instead of water, or using special non porous tubing however it really isn't practical.

A t fitting, foot of tubing, and a cap won't run you more than 5 bucks.

Read up on water cooling before you consider it because you don't seem to know all that much about it yet.

The main reason for me wanting to do it this way rather than use a fillport/res is that this way there is no air in the system period. So when I lay my PC on it's side or whatever orientation air won't get sucked from the res into the pump. I move my PC very often and I move it with it laying on it's side in a car seat.

If you can think of other solutions they're welcome here.

Fill your t-line up all the way maybe...

It won't work.

Tubing is porous and coolant will evaporate at a relatively surprising rate.

There are ways around this like using radiator fluid instead of water, or using special non porous tubing however it really isn't practical.

A t fitting, foot of tubing, and a cap won't run you more than 5 bucks.

Read up on water cooling before you consider it because you don't seem to know all that much about it yet.

Fill your t-line up all the way maybe...

i was assuming the bucket would also serve the purpose of a reservoir, not just the T-line and fillport, that's why it was 50 (it was actually meant to be $40... but you get the point).

I know tubing is porous, but in this setup, evaporation through the tubing pales in comparison to evaporation in the bucket, which won't be that staggering anyways (i live in Australia and i left a big rubbermaid container with a surface area of about half a square metre filled with water out in the sun one day last week at about 35°C and less than 2 inches had evaporated after 10 hours in full sun)... but seriously, when you've got a bucket sitting there, how hard is it to whack another pitcher of coolant in

so, the way i figure, the main issue is gonna be microbial growth and hindered thermal conductivity caused by dissolved gases and airborne minerals (mind you its not gonna be hindered too much either, so the bacteria is the main issue)

also, you're never gonna be able to completely fill your T-line... so just try to make sure its above the rest of the components (air is lighter than water, after all)

EDIT: oh yeah... you can fight the bacteria problem by adding a slash of denatured alcohol occasionally... it'll lower the thermal conductivity, but it'll kill the bacteria quicksmart... probably worth the tradeoff if you wanna run a loop like that

Using an open bucket as a reservoir is bad. You would just promote algae and all kinds of other bad things to grow inside your loop.

I think you misunderstand me, the bucket is only used to get the loop going. It's not replacing a t-line or fillport. I'm only using the bucket to hold my water until the loop gets clear of air bubbles, then the loop would be connected.

~The bucket would act as a reservoir for about 2 minutes until the system was full of water. Then it would be closed and installed into the PC.

The system will still evaporate some. I have to add water to my "closed" system every few months anyway. Technically pretty much all watercooling loops are closed systems. There may be air in the system in the res, but no new air is introduced into the system after i bleed it and put the cap on the res.

The system will still evaporate some. I have to add water to my "closed" system every few months anyway. Technically pretty much all watercooling loops are closed systems. There may be air in the system in the res, but no new air is introduced into the system after i bleed it and put the cap on the res.

Right, but my question of how to create a system with no air in it, or that keeps the air from flowing into the pump/rad/blocks while the case is lain on it's side.

I suppose filling the T-Line to the top would prevent any large amounts of air from circulating in the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom