Optical Disks problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

yomper

Beta member
I've been all over the internet and to different forums trying to get to the bottom of this...
This is my last attempt at getting information before I throw out my DVD/CD RW drive.
My computer has all the original stuff in it... eMachines T5088

The manufacturer for the RW drive is: Philips and BenQ Digital Storage Corporation

Model: DH-16W1P

As far as I can see, it reads and writes: CD-R, CD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW

It will not play certain DVD movies, even when the DVD movies are bran new. I have to use my other DVD/CD drive to play the DVDs that the RW drive will not play.

Also, after the drive completes a session of burning a DVD+RW disk, I'll take the disk out momentarily and then reinsert it, and the RW drive will not read it. I have to insert it into my other drive to read it.

I've tried using different formats ("live file system and "mastered"), I've tried 1x recording speed, which doesn't work (I get errors). I can't find a firmware update for this rare brand anywhere, and even if I could I doubt it would fix anything. When I burn, I also make sure all programs are closed to avoid buffer underrun errors. No matter what I do I can't get the RW drive to read the DVD+RW disks that it burns. Yes, I already tried updating the drive, it has the latest driver software.

In sum, the RW drive will play all media just fine except for certain, new, DVD movies, and the DVD+RW disks that I burn.

Is it time for a new drive, or is the problem some technicality with this crapy generic rare type of RW drive???

Well the new movies and media like that. Do you have the latest codec pack? That would be needed to play those.

Also for the burning sessions. Do you finalize the disk?

Wouldn't finalizing the disk defeat the purpose of using a rewritable disk? If I can't rewrite the RW disk after I use it I may as well just buy plain writable (R) disks. After the burn sessions I'm sure to CLOSE the disk, not "finalize". Whatever way the cheese is sliced, my drive should be able to play a disk that been closed.

I'm not sure what you mean by "codec", I do not use Windows Media Player to play these DVDs, I use HonesTech DVD Player 3.0 and I'm pretty sure I have the latest version of it.

The problem with the DVD movies is that the RW drive will not read them, period. They do not show up in Windows Explorer, I don't get to go as far as trying the DVD player software, so I don't see the point of needing an updated codec, sinse this is the case. I've have tried updating the driver for the drive but I already have the latest version of my driver.

As stated in my initial post, yes I've tried the DVD movies and DVD+RW disks in the DVD/CD ROM drive in my computer, they work fine in that drive.

However, updated info. has lead me to believe that because of technicalities and compatibility issues with "+" disks my RW drive will not read them, despite the fact that my RW drive supports reading "+" disks. Sometimes it will read "+" disks, and sometimes it won't.

I've been told that I should use "-" disks in my drive. In the future, I think I'll just be sure to pay attention to the brand of drive that I buy. No more generic crap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom