Closed water cooling loop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slvrstang

Daemon Poster
Is it possible to have a closed water cooling loop. By close I mean have no T-line or reservoir. The system would be filled by sucking water from a bucket and then submerging the block and connected the last connection to it. All the hoses would be cut to length already so at this point you'd have the complete loop filled and ready to be installed.

Would water evaporation be a problem?

Would the water expanding/compressing from heat gain/loss be a problem?

Is this idea totally retarded?

It could possibly work... but that bucket of water would have to be above the pumps intake so that the pump wont starve for water....

First of all, what's the point? A fillport is really cheap and a single T for the fillport will not have a huge impact on overall flow rate.

Secondly, water does not expand/contract with temperature. It's an incompressible liquid!

it will work... you're gonna have to do some tests and engineer it well tho... of course, as gurusan said an extra 50 bucks and you can have the proper setup.

and btw, water does expand and contract with heat (ie its reaches its maximum density at 4C, either side its density is lower... lower density means greater volume), but it is incompressible... but no, this expansion/contraction won't be a problem (it isnt in any other setup... this one just has lots of room to expand and contract)...

your main problems will be corrosion and contamination, because there are gonna be alot of airborne minerals and other contaminants that are gonna hinder your coolants heat transfer ability... so personally, i wouldn't recommend this method

yes, any time you use "suck water from a bucket" and "computer" in the same sentence things normally don't work out well.

Guys seriously, if you want to get all technical about it then yes, water expands and contracts with heat ....but for the temperatures in a watercooling loop it will do it what, like 4-5 kg per cubic meter? Even with other foreign molecules floating around it's not something that even really needs to be considered in a pc watercooling loop.

my previous (wasted) sarcasm aside; its the foreign molecules you do have to worry about, although not for expansion. Its all the crap that floats around in tap water that makes it corrosive and conductive. Using distilled water is the easiest way to combat that threat, de-ionizing water being an extreme. I'm sure some of you are aware that you can submerge an entire PC into water without risking electrical shorts if the water is completely free of foreign contaminants (it doesn't stay that way for long as the ionization imbalance causes water molecules to steal ions directly from components thereby increasing its conductivity).

The main reason for me wanting to do it this way rather than use a fillport/res is that this way there is no air in the system period. So when I lay my PC on it's side or whatever orientation air won't get sucked from the res into the pump. I move my PC very often and I move it with it laying on it's side in a car seat.

If you can think of other solutions they're welcome here.

just have a t-line with a detachable fillport. Once the system is full, remove the fillport and plug the T line.

Or, just fill the fillport line all the way up to the top :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom