Core duo or Quad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I simply cannot in my wildest dreams imagine getting an i7 setup. Not now. Not anytime soon. It's worse enough that I bought an 8gb flash drive on NewEgg and 2 weeks later it's 7.50 cheaper. I can't imagine dumping a couple hundred on a setup and BAM, that quick everything is dirt cheap.

Now, of course that puts you in a tough position if you "need" to upgrade. Do you bite the bullet, upgrade, and become future proof for a longer period of time? Or do you get something cheaper and nearing the end of its prime?

I upgraded. I got a 775 setup. I'm verrrrry happy. But I upgraded with the assumption in the back of my head that I would upgrade to an i7 setup in a year or so, when the bugs and kinks are worked out and the sucker isn't sky high in prices.

The choice is yours. The money is yours. But ultimately, you have to decide whether or not if it's worth it.

exactly, well said, I totally forgot the fact that he would have to also get pricey DDR3 Ram ( although its going down in cost ). IMHO, buying the 2nd gen or 2nd best stuff is always the best since it isn't too much of a decrease in performance and offers valued pricing. This is especially true when it comes to GPUs ( back then when a 8800 ultra was really expensive, and now when a GTX 280 or 4870 x2 is really pricey ). Also you brought up another good point, give them time to work out the bugs and such.

The same "bang for your buck" argument is seen everywhere here. I believe we have a guru floating around for that but in the end it comes down to user preference. Do you want to spend a lot to get a lot, or do you want to spend less and get less.
The tricky part of answering that question can be broken down simply enough; How much more vs how much less.
Benchmarks and reviews help you there. Most of what people here will tell you, if they are not professionals, is what they want or what they would want.
As trolls we can only take you so far. After you have seen hard evidence for all sides, as with all things, you are on your own.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. The I7 is completely out of question here. I don't have a grand to spend and the I7 is way to new and untested. Maybe in a year or two but not now. I think I'll go with either the e8400 or e8500. Both are under $200 at newegg and I should get to over 3GHz. That should be enough for most games providing I use a good gpu. Thanks

Why do people keep saying the e8400 is "faster" than the q6600. Unless you manage to overclock the 8400 to 4ghz+ its NOT going to be faster than a q6600. Especially seeing as many of the new games coming out actually run 2 or more threads.

The E8400 can be expected to get upto 3.6-3.8ghz the q6600 has had bad batches recently so only gets to 3-3.2ghz the price:performance isn't good for the average gamer. With the OP saying he is planning on rebuilding in 1-2years I7 isn't warranted and thus can go to quad core then. Atm the majority of games are single threaded so the q6600 would be extra cost that will most likely not be used "much" in the next 1-2 years

The E8400 can be expected to get upto 3.6-3.8ghz the q6600 has had bad batches recently so only gets to 3-3.2ghz the price:performance isn't good for the average gamer. With the OP saying he is planning on rebuilding in 1-2years I7 isn't warranted and thus can go to quad core then. Atm the majority of games are single threaded so the q6600 would be extra cost that will most likely not be used "much" in the next 1-2 years

$20 saved by getting the e8400 over the q6600 is chump change and not worth it imho. Isn't it a bit short sighted to look at current games now and not look at games coming out in the not so distant future? As previously mentioned the source engine is now quad core optimized and GTA4s recommended system requirements is actually a quad core so I think the trend is definately heading there faster then some may think.

PS: I'm still at 3 ghz and got one of the first g0 batches :) I figure ill stay like this for a while since I am 100% stable at default vcore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom