Core duo or Quad

Status
Not open for further replies.

grenny47

Solid State Member
I'm building an intel based PC and would like to know which CPU the experts would recommend. I've narrowed the CPU down to either the intel e8400 or q6600. Both cost about the same, one's duo the other quad, which one should I choose? Also, should I go with Vista 32 bit or 64 bit. I want a machine fast enough to play the latest games. Naturally I will use a good quality graphics card so I'm just concerned about the CPU.

Eh I disagree, I think at a cheap $185 the q6600 is a better deal for both multi application use AND gaming. I mean consider this, games like Left 4 Dead and GTA 4 are already taking advantage of quad core processors, so I think its not too long before most of the other new games do as well. Just go with the quad core for longer future proof ness

TBH, if you are building at this point. Buy an x58 and i7 chip. It will cost you a bit more than a core2 chip, but its going to last you a lot longer.

Imo old gen is best the early adopters of I7 are just going to get screwed by premium prices. Get a E8400 and overclock as in current games its faster then a q6600. For your next build/ upgrade in 2 years time go I7.

I'm just wondering how can you guys recommend the i7? Sure its probably way more future proof but it comes at a premium price ( since its new ) and will be at a premium price for quite a while, not to mention that recent testing proves its not necessarily faster then quad core in games...it just doesn't make sense to tell him to wait

I simply cannot in my wildest dreams imagine getting an i7 setup. Not now. Not anytime soon. It's worse enough that I bought an 8gb flash drive on NewEgg and 2 weeks later it's 7.50 cheaper. I can't imagine dumping a couple hundred on a setup and BAM, that quick everything is dirt cheap.

Now, of course that puts you in a tough position if you "need" to upgrade. Do you bite the bullet, upgrade, and become future proof for a longer period of time? Or do you get something cheaper and nearing the end of its prime?

I upgraded. I got a 775 setup. I'm verrrrry happy. But I upgraded with the assumption in the back of my head that I would upgrade to an i7 setup in a year or so, when the bugs and kinks are worked out and the sucker isn't sky high in prices.

The choice is yours. The money is yours. But ultimately, you have to decide whether or not if it's worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom