aol xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikFiend

Baseband Member
ok this is weird,i will explain best i can...i recently formated my moms pc (old hp 533 celeron 128ram)and reinstalled everything fresh.currently running xp all updated with sp2,she uses aol so i installed 7.0 for her.it worked fine then about 2 weeks later it messed up,when you open it it will thrash the pagefile for about 10 minutes and eventualy come up with a windows message "something about this program cant be run to low on resources".so i made page file bigger on both drives and have a total of 2 gigz of swap (by the way reinstalling aol fixed it so it ran fine again).but about 2 or 3 weeks later it did the same thing...when try to open it would thrash the page file and when i finaly get it closed and look at task manager i can see it was sucking every bit of the 2 gig from pagefile,so i reinstalled it and bla bla bla...ive had to do this about 10 times already any help would be awsome,btw havent had a problem with anyother software on her pc...thanx for any help!

Spyware & Adware bro. They eat any amount that you can offer. Get that firewall up, scan the system and you should be ok. By the way running XP with only 128 is not recomended, since 64 goes for OS. Pagefile helps but it also slows down the system since data has to be sent back and forth. Good Luck

i should have gone into more detail...have the windows firewall running at all times(sp2 firewall,its actualy pretty good)and avast antivirus running ....i scan with many different spyware progs all the time and i know whats running at all times...the computer is clean and runs great only problem is this aol thing.and btw 128 ram is plenty if you dont have a million things loading with windows....i check often and always have 60 or 70 megs physical memory avalible...i had to post this problem somewhere its the most bizarre thing ive seen on a computer

firewalls and anit virus doesn't really protect you from spyware....I think it has to do with your sp2, it has problems...
I've installed it and now I have uninstalled it because it was causing problems...AS long As you have all that protections and update current you should be fine and do not need sp2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom