Partitioning/ P Magic troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Smith

Solid State Member
1. I used Partition Magic 8 to partition the hard drive for linux and created a new partition.

2. It created it as "D:".

3. There was already a D: drive, for DVDs and CD-ROMs.

4. So Partition Magic changed the previous D: drive to E:, and consequently E: to F:.

5. Then it searched the system and replaced all references to D: to "E:" and E: to "F:"

Supposedly I shouldnt have any problems with discs now, but I tried to access discs on both the new E: and F: drives, and it always says "drive is not ready."

What happens if you re-label D to something like G? Push the other drives back?

Besides...Linux partitions should not have Drive letters...drive letters are a Windows thing...and it only applies them to FAT and NTFS partitions. A Linux partition is usually Ext3, which means you probably formated that partition the wrong way if you're getting a drive letter for it.

Agree with "qiranworms"

Maybe you can use Letter Assigner or norton disk doctor to repair it, I've not tried , but it should work , GBY:)

I was thinking of using Letter Assigner(Partition Magic cannot do it) to rename the letter from D: to G: etc., but on the Magic website it says:

"How are drive letters assigned to the new partitions that I create?

The task of assigning drive letters is performed by the operating system (that is, DOS, Windows, or OS/2) and not PartitionMagic. DOS assigns drive letters in the following order:

The active primary partition on the first physical drive is labeled C.

The active primary partition on the second physical drive (if one exists) is labeled D, and so on until all active partitions on all available drives have been assigned drive letters.

The logical drives are labeled, starting with logical drives on the first physical drive, then the logical drives on the second physical drive, and so on.

Your CD-ROM and any removable drives are assigned the next available drive letters after your hard drive partitions. For example, if you have C, D, and E partitions on your hard drive, your CD-ROM would become drive F."

If I used Letter Assigner to rename D: to G: etc. would that not interfere with this or does it not matter?

Yeah, but I already ran that, in fact it prompted me to run it after the partitioning. It didnt work, i still cant access discs with the new E and F drives.

Dont know what you mean, but what I meant was is it safe to change the drive letter, if DOS means it to be after the primary partition??

some programs or games could stop working...with drivemapper you don't have that problem. But I think its safe to change the CD-driveletter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom