Help oc'ing

Status
Not open for further replies.

santa

Baseband Member
Help me OC my processor please, its an intel e8400 and the motherboard is a gigabyte EP35-DS3P . do i simply increase the fsb or do i need to increase something with ram too? i have CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory. any help would be appreciated

I've been playing around with ram for the last few hours.

I can tell you that your Corsair ram should be able to hit 450mhz with some Voltage bumps, HOWEVER, im not sure how well it will do with 4gb as opposed to 2gb.

My corsair settings are 450mhz (225fsb) @ 2.13v 6-5-5-16.

Your results may vary, but its a good idea on your max (give or take 10-15mhz)

If your e8400 is Multiplier locked, your going to have to increase the FSB to overclock.

And i'll let one of the Intel boys come and tell you about that, because im running an AMD.

However my corsair should be very similar to yours, and you cant expect more than 450mhz (you might get 460, 470, but you'll be lucky to do so.)

One of the uber intel overclockers should be here somtime today or tomorrow and im sure they will give you their opinion on what you can expect from your 8400 and what voltages to use.

In order to overclock E8400's over 4.0ghz you WILL have to lower the ram frequency. Because the RAM will crap out long before the CPU does.

lower the ram? do you have any suggestions? and also @ rich is 450 mhz an increase or decrease from default? (im new to this stuff)

i dunno how far you wanna OC this thing, but with some good cooling you should be able to do 4GHz 24/7 no problem... so im gonna recommend some settings for 4GHz

MotherBoard Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.)
Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0]
CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [445]
PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100] <-- Always should be 100MHz when OCing on GA boards
C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 18 (You've got XMS2 sticks, right??)

Advanced Timings
ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-7
Rank Write to READ Delay________ 4-6
Write to Precharge Delay_________ 3-6
Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 44-54
Read to Precharge Delay__________ 4-8
Static tRead Value_______________ 7-12
Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] (I think those sticks run on 2.1V... check the sticker and set this accordingly)
PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
(G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1-0.2V] (you'll definitely need at least 1.2V on the NB, as you increase the FSB, you might need to step up to 1.3V)
CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.350] (you might need more, might need less... if you can boot but the temps are high, lower it... if you cant boot, raise it)

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled]

Integrated Peripherals
Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled]

That'll give you 4.005GHz on the CPU and 890MHz on the RAM... when setting the timings, start with them loose and run a couple passes of Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool and if you get no errors, tighten them one or two clock cycles (one setting at a time, of course)... once you start getting errors, loosen it off a clock or put a bit more voltage through the DIMMs

if you need any of this (or anything else) explained, PM me or post back here

i dunno how far you wanna OC this thing, but with some good cooling you should be able to do 4GHz 24/7 no problem... so im gonna recommend some settings for 4GHz

MotherBoard Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.)
Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0]
CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [445]
PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100] <-- Always should be 100MHz when OCing on GA boards
C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 18 (You've got XMS2 sticks, right??)

Advanced Timings
ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-7
Rank Write to READ Delay________ 4-6
Write to Precharge Delay_________ 3-6
Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 44-54
Read to Precharge Delay__________ 4-8
Static tRead Value_______________ 7-12
Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] (I think those sticks run on 2.1V... check the sticker and set this accordingly)
PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
(G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1-0.2V] (you'll definitely need at least 1.2V on the NB, as you increase the FSB, you might need to step up to 1.3V)
CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.350] (you might need more, might need less... if you can boot but the temps are high, lower it... if you cant boot, raise it)

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled]

Integrated Peripherals
Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled]

That'll give you 4.005GHz on the CPU and 890MHz on the RAM... when setting the timings, start with them loose and run a couple passes of Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool and if you get no errors, tighten them one or two clock cycles (one setting at a time, of course)... once you start getting errors, loosen it off a clock or put a bit more voltage through the DIMMs

if you need any of this (or anything else) explained, PM me or post back here

thanks a bunch, im gonna try it now!

umm with those settings i am running around 59 - 64 degrees Celsius while running counter strike source is that too hot?

its probably a bit toasty... what kind of cooler have you got? you can try dropping the voltage to say 1.32-1.335V and giving it a run with intel burn test to see if its stable... you're gonna have to play with the core voltage quite a bit until you get the very lowest setting possible that will run stable

its probably a bit toasty... what kind of cooler have you got? you can try dropping the voltage to say 1.32-1.335V and giving it a run with intel burn test to see if its stable... you're gonna have to play with the core voltage quite a bit until you get the very lowest setting possible that will run stable

stock cooler, gonna run prime 95 now as a memory tester

sry for the double post but is it better to have a high or low for overclocking, meaning which one is faster / slower ?

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________
Rank Write to READ Delay________
Write to Precharge Delay_________
Refresh to ACT Delay______________
Read to Precharge Delay__________
Static tRead Value_______________

??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom