small builds

Status
Not open for further replies.

wait321

Baseband Member
What's the smallest case that can be used for a gaming desktop with crossfire? I want a machine that has good performance but doesn't take up much space. I was looking at the slim microatx cases, but I don't know if the graphic cards will fit.

What's the smallest case that can be used for a gaming desktop with crossfire? I want a machine that has good performance but doesn't take up much space. I was looking at the slim microatx cases, but I don't know if the graphic cards will fit.

It depends on how much performance you need. If you play on a resolution like 1440 x 900 or below, you can crossfire a couple of 4670s, which are relatively small cards. However, i don't think a slim case would work out. They tend to have less air flow, and a lot of heat build up in the case, especially with 2 graphics cards. I would just look into some smaller sized mid towers.

Mini-itx

Mobo: COMMELL LV-678 Intel Core 2 Quad Desktop LGA775 Mini-ITX Motherboard
Ram: 4gb
cpu E8400 OC'd
Gpu 4870x2
case: god knows the 4870 will be the largest component in there so you might need to use a flexible riser card

This is the smallest commercially available computer
tinyPCs_w.jpg

why do you even need a crossfire build? i would just get one 4870 if i was you, but anyway. i guess you could go with the mobo saltynay suggested but i dont think the q35 chipset is gonna get your overclocking very far at all. im guessing you already got a crossfire mobo worked out, it should be a x38.48 if u do, but i siggest u get just 1 4870 and a p45 shipset which is better, otherwise a antec 300 will do fine like john said or even sumthin like this

Newegg.com - Antec NSK4480 Black/ Silver 0.8mm cold-rolled steel construction ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 380W Power Supply - Computer Cases

the antec nsk4000 is a fair bit smaller then the 300 and will hold 4870's if u need, also has good construction and fairly good airflow if u add 1 or 2 fans. you dont wan to get a tiny lil case or like a micro atx box because 1. cooling will be **** and 2. crossfire wont fit. obviously get this case without the psu aswell, they dun have the non psu version on newegg, just a reference link.

I was thinking of using this mobo: Newegg.com - DFI LP JR P45-T2RS LGA 775 Intel P45 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

But the mATX cases are not that much smaller. would a htpc case work?

Yes a htpc (atx sized) case will be fine for a single high performance gpu but finding one thats long enough is a challenge and from experience htpc cases are a headache to wire manage and actually build as its not designed to have high performance gpu/cpu (cooler) you will find that it doesn't quite fit back together. I definately wouldn't go crossfire in a htpc case I had a single 8800gts (second best card when I bought it) and temps were a little high (70C after high load) so doubling that with so little airflow is not a good idea.

If small is a PRIORITY I would get the mini-itx board I suggested and a E8500 then you only have to OC 200-400mhz which is a very small jump and the processor is already fast enough to handle dual gpu's. As I said before though finding a case could be a challenge so you would be best building your own which is quite easy all it is is a box
Rather sexy wooden case: http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/new-wood-pc-140097/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom