Is this hard drive broke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dario03

Fully Optimized
My sister has a hard drive thats been causing some problems. I ran chkdsk/f and it basically does nothing, so I ran chkdsk/r and it always gets stuck on 27%. I also ran seatools and it detects 100 errors for every ~10,000 LBA sectors, it will fix all the errors but it makes me stop, fix, resume scanning every 100 errors so it would take me about 2 months to finish. So I am trying to run spinrite and it keeps extending the estimated time, it started at 9 hours and for now has jumped to 612 hours. Also with Spinrite I'm at 0.25% after 10 hours it shows 2 blocks, the first was fixed but the second could not be.

So is the hard drive beyond repair? Or is there something I can do.

Note: I can actually access the drive just fine (I'm on it now) but after a fresh format the computer will just randomly slow down, sometimes lock up, and sometimes throw a warning windows must shut down message. It especially happens when trying to play a game or just doing anything more intensive than websurfing. I tested the rest of the computer and everything else seems ok, so I assume the hdd is at fault.

You having errors in disk check and other utilities tells me it is faulty or dieing.

I'm sure you could use it up to the day it completely crashes, but I wouldn't advise it.

sounds bad to me, since it is still doing it after a fresh format

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom