issue with new hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikee

Fully Optimized
I recently bought a Seagate Barracuda 1.5Tb hard drive and it seems to be having this issue I think because my computer will randomly freeze and shortly after it will restart and windows will look all weird with textless buttons at the login screen. Anyway does anyone have any additional info on this problem. This article says that it does not cause data loss nor does it mean the drive is failing and that there will be a firmware update to fix it. How do you upgrade firmware of a hard drive?

1.5TB Barracuda freezes: Seagate speaks out - The Tech Report

You update the firmware the same way you update any other... you download it and follow the directions. Check Seagate's site for both.

Great now it won't boot up at all, almost like my primary hard drive died. it just says something like intel boot agent no media found or starts loading windows but then you hear a click one click then the bootscreen freezes. I think theres something else going on now but why would this all of a sudden happen once I ad a new hard drive?

Now when the new drive is plugged in nothing will boot but once I disconnect the new drive windows boots just fine. What's the problem here?

That means that your boot order is messed up. It is seeing the External as teh boot device before the internal hard drives which is messing with your bootup. Which is why you got the Intel Boot Agent message.

It could jsut be you cant leave the external on when you boot. Could be that your system boot is messed up.

they are both internal drives. I turned off the computer and plugged the drive back into the sata port and rebooted and it works for now but I'm not sure if this problem will just start again in a day or two since thats how long it took for the problem to come up.

Then i would say that your boot order in the BIOS is set wrong. When you plug in the new drive it sounds as if that become the primary boot hard drive when it doesnt contain your boot info.

check your BIOS with that drive plugged in and make sure that your old drie is set to be the boot device so that you can boot.

are there supposed to be jumpers on the sata drive to indicate master and slave? This is my first sata drive I have ever owned.

No. SATA drives do not need the master/slave designation. They just go by the SATA Port they are connected to on the mother board.

crap.. I think mine is connected to the 2nd port.

what order do they go in usually mine aren't labeled there are just 4 of them in a square shape

They are labeled on the mother board. You have to look closely. Each board is different only the labeling on your mobo can tell you how yours is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom