Gaming PC anything I should change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
thats a great build. a little on the pricey side, but it is all newer stuff.
the only thing i would seriously consider changing would be the card.
the only reason being is that this one:
Newegg.com - VisionTek 900250 Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

has a lifetime warranty. diamond only has one or two year (i cant remember which). and i am assuming that since you are dropping so much money on it, you will expect it to last 3-4 years at least. it would be a shame to have the card crap out in a few years and not be covered under a warranty.
just my opinion. when i bought my 4870, i bought sapphire because i usually change cards every 5-6 months, and it was the cheapest. it only has a 3 year warranty.
otherwise, i think that is a very modern build that should last a good while.

welcome to T.F. by the way.

thanks alot I appreciate it. Yeah im hoping it last me a long time I will deff. look into that video card. But im like you I like to change stuff every few years so the 2 year might be good for me.

no problem. the only thing i dont like about the x2 cards is that most have a 30 day non-refundable policy form newegg. which kinda sucks. the only one with standard is the diamond OC card which is like 560 dollars.
the sapphire looks good, its only 505. if you are gonna be trading out cards in a couple years i'd get the sapphire. i just think they are the best known name in ATI cards, which usually equals better support.

i agree with nagasama there... saph usually has the best ATI cards out... also, i think that PSU is a bit overkill unless you wanna get quadfire goin later... if you just wanna stick with the single 4870X2, then the TX-750 would be a fine PSU (Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies)... if you do plan on getting CF goin, either the SS you've got there or the 1000W PC P&C (Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling T1KWSR 1000W Continuous @ 50°C EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies) will serve you well (i've always had good experiences with them), and its $20 cheaper as a bonus

yeah that is a monstrous PSU. i figured you may be getting that because you would be in the market for another 4870x2 in the future.
and, while i am thinking about it...IF that is the case you may want to think about an
X48 mobo, as the PCIE slots will run full x16 with crossfire. the p45's run x8 in crossfire. it doesnt make a difference with other cards, probably not much even with my 1gb 4870. but the 4870x2 will likely benefit from the extra bandwidth.

DON'T GET IT!!!!!!!!!!! How did you guys forget about the i7?? Alright, an i7 CPU costs as much as a Q9550, but can OC to 4.5GHz on air!! It will last even longer, techwise, and overclocks like a butter. And the mobos do SLi, and CFX!

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Also, you might want to wait a little, because prices WILL drop, and the new ATi 5*** series is coming, so you will be even more updated than the 4870X2.

Ok, here's my recommendations...

Corsair 650tx or 750tx (drop your 1000w PSU)
Core i7 920 instead..
MSI X58 Plat
With the Money saved on those parts you can afford a 3gb Triple Channel Kit

by the looks of it, that is a gaming build. i7's dont have the best gaming performance. yorkfield does (or really, wolfdale does).
i didnt forget about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom