not again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiZcO

In Runtime
Well this has been going on for about a month off and on.. one day i turn my computer on and it says Disc read error... nothing would work to get past it.. so i jump my CMOS.. then it booted up fine .. and comp worked for a good 2 weeks.. then it happened again.. this time Jump CMOS wouldn't work... i tryed everything so i had to reformat.. couldnt save none of my files :( so after i reformed it was good... and remember every time ive gotten these Disc read errors my comp freezes to where i have to restart my computer and thats where the read disc occurs... well today it happen again.. it was fine for 3 days. i have Updated BIOS so its not that.. and i have no Extra drive to change them out. i'm thinking its a Faulty HDD but if it was seem like it wouldnt work at all and boot up. and BIOS recognizes the drive. so i don't wanna buy a new HDD and thats not the problem. This problem has been going on way to long. any advice?

I would run Checkdisk with the /r switch to have Checkdisk fix bad sectors (if there turned out to be any). That way you can at least say that you have checked the HDD for physical problems.

At command promp type:

CHKDSK /r

then hit Enter

thats the thing... i cant even get command promp to come up.. it goes to black screen and waits 20 secounds then comes up with Disc read error.. and my keyboard usslly lights up its USB and doesn't do anything.

I think that maybe you could open up the case and see if the cable is loose on either end. Physically unplug the cable on both ends and replug them - sometimes that's all it takes. Maybe give that a whirl ?

Doesnt make sense i unhooked the SATA cables and put them back in then it booted up. but see this keeps happening comp will freeze then i boot it back up and i get the Disc error, doesn't make sense what it could be..

Do you have an XP disc? If you do, boot off of it, and hit R to enter recovery console. then at that command prompt, type CHKDSK /R

i did it from run... i got it to work... but said Volume was Clean... no bad sectors or anything :/

I'd say your MBR is corrupt. I'm not too sure how you'd go about fixing that, Fdisk /mbr might work, but I know there's complications with that. Something about not being able to access your data after that.
Which means you'd probably need to backup your stuff first, then fix the mbr and format the drive.

Iuno tho, I'm only semi-sure that's how to fix it. But I'm pretty sure that's the problem. It was always a joke between me and my bro, cause if you boot in safe mode it'll get stuck on 'mup.sys' then fail.

From the Recovery Console use these commands.

fixboot
fixmbr

See if that helps fix the boot problem for XP.

well thx all about the MBR advice.. but im new to that first ive heard about it. i just went ahead and bought a new 500GB sata drive so with that my MBR will be fine right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom