Computer won't boot after sleep mode (Vista)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerosinek

Baseband Member
My buddy put my computer to sleep and now it won't even boot up. It was working fine before this. I hit enter to wake it up from sleep, my keyboard lit up, LCD screen on it came on (G15) but then everything just shut off except the computer. The blue light on the monitor started flashing as it does when there is no signal. The computer starts, all the fans start, you can hear the harddrive, but no boot/post.

I've already tried moving the sticks of ram around (this same issue happened right after I built the computer).

Reset the CMOS and nothing :(

Anybody have any other suggestions?

Is he fully up to date with SP1 and all updates? Does he have it set to turn off the hard drive after a certain period of time in the power options?

1.Turn off the power, unplug the power cord.

2.Take out the cmos battery, then press the power button on the computer a few times to get rid of any residual charge.

3.Replace the cmos battery, plug ther power back in, and try and start the computer again.

I'm not too sure why, but if I have my computer in sleep mode and then turn the power off I get that exact problem. Following the above steps usually fixes it.

Soul go into your screensaver setting. Check your power options. If you have it set to Balanced or Power saving then it shuts down the hard drives after 30 minutes. After that it require just a click of the power button to wake it correctly. I usually set mine to High Performance to stop that. But you can change those settings in other options as well.

Making sure the hard drives dont turn off should stop this from happening and prevent the whole CMOS clear thing.

Not a problem. ;)

Not known as the resident Windows Geek for nothing. I know a thing or 2 about fixing things like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom