Which Power Supply wattage

Status
Not open for further replies.

fadedstar

Baseband Member
Hello there,

Ok i'm talkin about a server here. I'm no geek and bought a used server for my business and having some hardware issues. I'm highly suspecting the power supply isn't powerful enough. It's an antec 450 watts.

Heres a brief description of whats inside this beast :

Tyan Motherboard with dual AMD processors (dual core) so 4 cores.

1 X Raptor HDD
4 X WesternDigital HDD
(so 5 HD!)

1 cheap video card
1 PCI Raid card

4 or 5 fans (can't remember :) )

Anyway, can't get more than 20 days of uptime before OS gets Kernel Panic. 2 HDS were unplugged and so far so good... (35 days!!!)

What PSU would you get...

thanks!

What OS is it running? A kernel panic could be caused by a lot of things and it would be strange to get 20 days uptime and then suddenly get a kernel panic if it is a problem with the PSU. Having said that 450W really isnt much for a machine like this. I ran a very similar machine with dual opteron 270s on a supermicro board also with 5 HDDs on 700W.
The PSU suggested by ferarri is a good one but you will need to check to see what connectors the motherboard takes.

Yeah I get your point. I'm running this server for 8 months and it's not really reliable. I used to be running a raid 5 out of the 4 Western HD. I was using a Raidcore PCI card to hook all the HD. The OS is ubuntu. Note that the Raid card wasn't supported by OS (recognized as a controller only) so I was actually running a software Raid with OS.

First problems were... Raid keeps dropping HD from time to time. (Like if one drive fail and the spare one gets in). After a reboot... it comes back to life and raid is rebuilding.

So we changed the Raid card for something else. Still doing it except that from time to time, we get kernel panics referring to HDD. That happened about 5 or 6 times in a row every 20 days or so. Manual reboot and everything is fine.

So that's where I am. 2 HDs were unplugged and it seems like it fixed the problem once for all, reinforcing the power supply theory!

Kernel panics are tricky... CPUs aren't overheating, etc.

So hey, i'll get a bigger PSU and we will see I guess.

It's good to hear you dropped that raidcore card they dont seem to have much in the way of OS support at all.
Yeah get a bigger PSU because quite frankly even if that is not the problem (I think it is though) you must be sitting right on the edge of its abilities all the time with a machine like that.
It's probably just a period of high load every 20 days (maybe check cron) which is pushing it over the edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom