Cable to connect laptop HD to PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comdot

In Runtime
Bit of a newb when it comes to laptops. A couple of people want me to get their data off their broken laptops. Is there a cable I can connect the hard drives with or do I need a caddie?
Hard drives are IDE.

Cheers :)

Would need an IDE to USB adapter cable...can just as easily get an external enclosure to fit it in though, which you'd probably be able to find at a local electronics store fairly easily (just have to make sure its for 2.5" laptop HDD's going to USB/Firewire/eSATA/whatever).

is there an IDE cable i can use to connect it to my mobo?
what's the price on the cheapest caddies?
i'm after the cheapest solution really as i don't plan on re-using whatever i buy, or at most very rarely.

thanks

well i've found this but can't find a usb type

bWFpbmltYWdlcy9DQUItSURFLUxQVGEuanBn.jpg

He wants "the cheapest" thing he can find. That is 3-4 times the price of "the cheapest". For just around $5 you can get a small plastic adapter that lets you connect a laptop IDE drive to a desktop IDE cord, using a Molex connector to get the power for the drive. Theoretically, you could use it to permanently use the laptop drive in the desktop, or you can use it for quick fixes by swapping it in.

Newegg.com - Rosewill RCW-616 Laptop 2.5" to Desktop 3.5" IDE Hard Drive Adapter Converter - Adapters & Gender Changers

THIS is what you need. Dirt cheap, reusable but simple, and reliable. It's not USB, it's just IDE. However, you save a lot of money and it works just as well. The minor downside is you have to temporarily unplug your desktop's hard drive if it is IDE, but that's really no big deal if you're just recovering. You can always boot from a Linux LiveCD to recover files.

cheers guys.

as soon as/ if i put this laptop back together i'll try this converter thing out. i thought there must be something like this out there.

the USB thing looks cool but yeah a bit too pricey for me on just a one-time use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom