New PSU Rail Balancing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shindy

Beta member
The New PSU would be this:
Newegg.com - Antec earthwatts EA500 500W ATX12V v2.0 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Now, this new PSU includes TWO rails. Unlike the epic fail Delta 300W that came with this computer, it has TWO 12v rails with 17A on each. Since I've never worked with duals before (infact, I have never worked with power supplies before >.<) I'll need help on distributing loads.

On my GT5432 computer, there are:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ @2.6GHz
Integrated Nvidia Geforce 6150SE
Unknown DVD/CD R/W
a USB Hard Drive Bay
1Gig Memory (512MBx2)
320 SATA II HDD

Now normally this PSU can power all those on a single rail. But heres the catch. I'm adding in the following:

EVGA Geforce 8800 GS 384MB
1 Gig Corsair Memory single stick

Now, I heard that 8800's take about 12A. That leaves me 5A on a single rail, and probably would not want to add in everything else into that single rail. I couldn't find out the amperage of others, so I'm asking.

So, if you kindly please, in format of:

12V1:
(list hardwares here)
12V2:
(list hardwares here)

list the hardwares there so I dont nuke my system.

P.S.: One 4 Pin leads to DVD Drive, 15-pin Sata leads to HDD, 20-pin leads to MOBO, 4 Pin leads to CPU, and an unknown pin leads to the USB Drive Bay. Will connect 6-pin to 8800 GS.

------------------------------------------------------

Another question, how do you know which cables belong to which rails (on the PSU's, I heard my PSU will have an abnormal # of cables and no sleeving at all, go green...)

Since you do not have much to power it is fairly straight forward.

12v1:
Motherboard
CPU
(DVD Drive)

12v2:
GPU
Hard Drive
(DVD Drive)

The rest is plugged into your motherboard so the first rail will power them when needed. I put the DVD Drive under both in brackets because it can be run by either. They do not take much power.

There are usually 2 connections of each. CPU and motherboard power are on Rail #1. As well as 1 of the 2 molex and 1 of the 2 SATA power. The other molex and SATA connections are on Rail #2 as well as the PCI-E power. This is just a generic layout. Every PSU is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom