Windows 7 Milestone 3 Build 6801 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apok,

I am not trying to say that XP X64 is a bad OS overall. I have never personally run it. I dont have the hardware to do so. This is coming from the user feedback that i have seen and recieved.

As to why they say pretty much the same thing. Driver support. Some are running newer machines while some are running older machines. There is a mixed bag of feedback saying that the driver support for XP X64 is poor. The drivers are incomplete, dont work right or just flat out dont work.

It oculd also be that the users are also fans of Vista. They prefer Vista over XP. While your situation you prefer XP over Vista. That could be why yoru feedback is the exact opposite of what i have heard from them.

I am the same way. I prefer Vista over XP. So yeah i tend to lean more toward Vista 64 over XP X64 in every way. I am glad that it works for you and your experience has been superior. But that cant be said of all people.

It was hasty of me to call XP X64 the worst OS. I will admit to that. Espically since i have not personally used it. But the fact that it is ignored by many hardware manufacturer;s hurts the OS.

As i have said i personally think it is time to let XP go and move on. XP X64 was ignored for the most part. Which didnt help Microsoft at all. In fact it probably hurt them more than helped them. Since that was their first step in the 64 Bit market and having it go ingorned hurt the support for 64 Bit Windows OS's by developers. Be it hardware or software.

I have just seen and hear way to many complaints about XP X64 compred to Vista 64. I will also admit that i am at fault for believing such things since i am a big advocate for not believing everything you hear. Since i defend Vista all the time. But much of the information i have recieved has come from very trusted sources of mine. They have told me of the many issues they have had trying to get XP X64 working and configured compared to how easy it was for them to get Vista 64 working and configured.

So i will retract that statement that XP X64 is the worst OS out there. As Apok has shown it isnt. I have just seen higher success rates with Vista 64 over XP X64 overall.

Guys guys, the worst os is Windows ME. Now can we all go back to being friends?
I'd agree with you there.

Apok,

I am not trying to say that XP X64 is a bad OS overall. I have never personally run it. I dont have the hardware to do so. This is coming from the user feedback that i have seen and recieved.

As to why they say pretty much the same thing. Driver support. Some are running newer machines while some are running older machines. There is a mixed bag of feedback saying that the driver support for XP X64 is poor. The drivers are incomplete, dont work right or just flat out dont work.
Perhaps the people that have issues just tend to be heard a lot more often than those that don't (And that would apply to Vista too).

I agree. I am not going to aruge that at all. As it seems those who have difficulties seem to have their information passed across the internet like a wild fire. I am glad that you came by and pointed out to me that XP X64 isnt as bad as i have heard. I may have to take over the wife's laptop and dual boot with XP X64 to try it out.

Sometimes I forget that I'm even using a different OS to XP 32.

If you're running on a very limited amount of RAM (1GB or less), and a single core CPU, XP 32 may be the better option.
being a 64-bit OS, XP x64 does take more RAM (instead of ~350-400MB, it'd be using ~500-550MB without other programs), but generally does better with heavy workloads, especially when your programs are compiled in 64-bit.

As long as Windows 7 has the driver support that XP did I'll be happy. If not, I'll stick with XP. That is the main reason. Not RAM usage, not CPU usage, not load times, not interface, but driver support. I have too many things that don't work in Vista that I feel no reason to upgrade just because new software doesn't support it. My TV card, some of my network cards, my old laptop's sound and video, and tons of other stuff don't work in Vista or Windows 7.

Sure, I could blow $50 on a nearly identical card that has a different software interface just because the dumb company behind it drops support to force you into buying new stuff (a lame move by companies, one I'm not going to fall for) or just keep good old XP around.

XP backwards compatible driver system or Win7 won't really be worth it. Even if major devices like video cards need Win7 drivers, at least have some sort of emulated or backwards compatible support for sound cards, network cards, TV cards, etc.

Calc hate to tell ya mate. But there wont ever be a backward compatible driver system. The coding is too different from XP to Vista for those drivers to work. Since Win7 is being built off Vista you still wotn get driver support unless the manufacturer's decide to make drivers for Win7 for your hardware. But if they didnt for Vista i dont see why they would for Win7.

Depending on the device, you might be able to use it via a virtual machine.
I have a scanner that doesn't have drivers for any OS newer than 2000 (which, work in XP, since the 2000 kernel is so similar to XP), so I have an XP 32 virtual machine for it, as well as iTunes (because Apple decided they can't be stuffed making a few really simple changes to make it work in XP x64. though it's about the only program I can't run)

In my opinion I have found Vista easy to work with, a lot of stuff even very obscueure stuff you just plugged in and it worked out the box whereas with XP you always had to install stuff however if something didn't work then well...

Couple of things.

1. I downloaded a beta of XP X64 in the Summer of '05 I believe and ran that as my main OS......I did not have a single problem with it except for my RAID drivers. I think I did encounter maybe one or two other driver problems, but all major apps worked fine.

2. I have no beef with Vista either. I got it for free through MSDNAA so how could I? I get so sick of people still saying, "Should I get Vista 64-bit?? Will it work with #*$#* #$*#$????" Stupidity. It works fine. My only problem with Microsoft at the moment is my Vista Business not showing any love to my Xbox 360. I do have a media server set up though, so it doesn't bother me too bad.

3. Speaking of which, couple of questions about the pre-beta Windows 7. Does IT have a media center? You said you had to unlock the "new" taskbar....how is that done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom