GPU upgrade time

Status
Not open for further replies.

misterfatal

Baseband Member
I want to switch from dual gpu to single gpu. Right now I have 2x evga 8600GTS (sli). I was wondering what single "bang for the buck" card you guys can recommend that is better than 2x8600GTS.

btw im running q6600(stock) on a nforce 650i

Two 8600GTS = 1 8800GTS 320mb... Pretty easy to top..

I'd recommend a HD 4850 for $200 or for $300 the Core 216 GTX 260 or HD 4870

Doesn't matter either way.. GDDR2 512MB (or the GDDR3) aren't really worth it anyways, and you don't add the VRAM, so the cards I recommended should stomp all over the 8600GTS' in SLI and you have less heat production

Thanks, the reason im switching is because. for some reason when im in SLi after a hour or few hours of gaming i get really bad artifacts, but if i set it to single card. its fine. And it was only at 75C fullload while in sli... Do you think this is a GPU issue?

Artifacts are usually GPU related.. but if it goes away when SLI is off its your second card that is screwy

8600GTS (sli)

He must have a SLI motherboard. So it would be more beneficial for him to go with an Nvidia based card. So he can just go SLI again later, when he needs more GPU power.

9800 GT anyone? 9800 GTX+?

By the way a single 9800 GT will slaughter your current set up.

I put in the other card as a single, and the monitor wont even display anything (standby). Than i switched to the one that WAS working. same thing!!!. ugh! so i put in a olllddd 7600GT, worked fine. So i guess both cards went out on me now? btw when i was booting each 8600GT individually, i can hear the fan spin fast and slow repeatedly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom