CPU, MOBO, and GPU for $700 please advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmax670

Baseband Member
Hey guys, I am building a new system mainly intended for gaming, and I would like so advice when it comes to what I have mentioned in this thread's title.

I currently have a Q6600 and love it, but would like to take advantage of the 45nm technology, will this make a huge difference in speed?

GPU - well I will admit it is hard to keep up with all the advancements but the last I had was an 8800GT for about a year, and I love it, and I also love evga, they make a great product. For my sake, if you make a recommendation in this category can you please be specific why you are recommending it, thanks. ATI/nVidia, doesnt really matter, i just want the best card for my budget.

MOBO - I have always been partial to ASUS due to what i have used from them. Excellent quality and value, and once again, just looking for the best quality for my budget.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

CPU: If you game a lot then get a 45nm Dual Core like the E8400 or E8500. If you multitask then you can keep the Q6600. Just save money for a new build with i7.

Motherboard: We recommend the Biostar I45. Great for overclock and 1 graphics card.

GPU: If you want to go with NVIDIA then the EVGA GTX 260 216 Core or ATI the 4870.

the 45nm quads are about 25% faster per clock, but are kinda expensive unless u get a lower end q9300 or 400. but for gaming wise ur best bet is a e8500, I45 and a core 216 or 4870 like prototype said.

for example if u got I45 and 4870 thats about 425 already so u got 275 for a cpu, u could only get a q9400 in thats range, which at 3.4ghz will outperform ur q6600, but not overly alot, these only have a smaller 6mb cache. id say stick with a e8500 unless u need the multitasking.

according to my reading, the i7 920 is gonna be about $300, is that correct? because if that's the case i may just wait until that becomes available pretty soon, no?

Also, do you think the mobo support is going to be good when the i7 comes out?

For $700? Nah just get a E8500 + Biostar TForce TP43 and a 4850.

Save the money and buy yourself some food.

according to my reading, the i7 920 is gonna be about $300, is that correct? because if that's the case i may just wait until that becomes available pretty soon, no?

Also, do you think the mobo support is going to be good when the i7 comes out?

Already available actually... Microcenter has a Core i7 920 for $300, Newegg has the MSI X58 Platinum for $221..

Don't know about Tri-Channel RAM, but I remember seeing them on the Egg sometime back

thats a reasonable price actually, but here in australia the 920 is like $700 and mobo's are about $500 so im outta that game for a bit.

edit: those were the pre release prices i just had a look, and seems the i7 is about $500 and x58's are at 390-400

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom