AVG slaps Trojan label on Adobe Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.
While i can understand this. When the mistakes cost your users their system. There has to be a line drawn. If Microsoft had released the update people would be in a uproar.

When you have your AV which is supposted to protect you tell you that a legit system file is bad and you delete it causing your system to break down with no chance of easy recovery it hurts.

It wouldnt matter if you were protected or not at that point. Cant boot then.;)

The flash thing while not as big cause some flash can be bad. The Windows file one was big. That one hurt them a bit. This is only compounding it for them cause now people are 2nd guessing using AVG.

Oh, I didn't know it was to such severe points as to ruining the installation. That would anger me.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f51/avg-slaps-trojan-label-core-windows-file-190425/

That is the topic in reference to the Windows file. So anyone who had AVG and had this happen lost their system. AVG posted a fix for it but by then it was to late. Many people were infected and many choose to reinstall.

It isnt that i dislike AVG. IT is jsut that these 2 flaws have put a mark on their reputation that could hurt them.

I just replugged in the ide drive still having the 7.5 build and updated that to 8.0 for the drive that had been sitting around for months now and not one problem seen. I suspect the reports here are based mainly on isolated incidents rather then anything that would effect a large variety of systems.

The problem is often referred to as "overreaction" while you still want to pay attention along with any needed protection "just in case" let's say. How about you Mak running into thing at all your way?

Nope. I disabled AVG for a couple of days. Then earlier i seen that the Resident scanner was hogging a ton of resources so i rebooted, updated and everything is fine now.

Like I suspected you wouldn't. These sound too much like isolated incidents where someone rushes to fill a web page on a false alarm. I updated the 7.5 to 8.0 anyways and no problems to report.

I think Grisoft would have caught any real problem much sooner during the testing phase while ATI saw a bad one with the Catalyst 7.9 releasing a patch for that. Vista users wouldn't have any worries anyways since the articles posted seem to indicate these were seen in XP.

I didnt cause i disabled AVG once i saw the reports. So it wasnt active for me to be affected. Once i knew that there was a new definition out there i re-enabled it and updated right away.

I wasnt taking the chance of possibly being infected. Since this in on my Win7 install. There isnt to many options to repair it if something goes wrong. I was playing it safe.

I possibly could have been infected had i left AVG active the whole time. But i wasnt about to find out.

You wouldn't have seen any other then a possible incompatibility issue come being in an early stage not any infections. In fact the latest definition notification came up right before going to post this without even having AVG open but simply in background as usual. When opening it up and clicking the update option it went on smooth as always!

avgworkingzb1.jpg

You have a different situation with 7 to start with there. What I was meaning if you also had XP or Vista running separately on another drive or system you could see if there was anything to worry about there instead.

It isnt different. Win7 is Vista right now. Just updated with some new looks and features. They havent changed any of the code yet under the hood to change the way Win7 works. I mean if people are using Vista Beta serials to activate Win7 then it is the same.

It isnt any different. I could have easily been infected by this.

Well the articles themselves point at XP not even Vista seeing the problems of certain MS and other files removed. I left AVG active on XP through all of this and not iota of any problem ever came up so there shouldn't be any worries at this point. Like I mentioned before all this seems to be strictly isolated cases with someone sounding a panic alarm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom