won't boot up after repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

sickthing

Solid State Member
repairing friend's dell inspiron 6000. replaced cd power jack because it wasn't charging. put everything back together and now it won't power up. lights come on and then about 3-4 seconds later, it makes a weird faint beep noise and then shuts off. nothing comes up on screen either. fan sometimes comes on, sometimes not. check all connections and made sure memory was seated properly.

i had a problem getting the old power jack off the main board, so i hope i didn't damage the board.

any suggestions or thoghts?

The battery is likely no longer holding an adequate charge for the laptop in use there. It sounds like the charge is immediately being taken down to 0% since the largest draw even on a portable unit is when first turning them on and seeing Windows load up. Laptops still go through the post tests like any desktop would.

That would be the good news since a replacement battery would be the only thing that needed replacing beside the ac adapter. The bad news however is the quick complete turn off only seconds after first turning it on suggests something like a bad cap on the board!

The battery is likely no longer holding an adequate charge for the laptop in use there. It sounds like the charge is immediately being taken down to 0% since the largest draw even on a portable unit is when first turning them on and seeing Windows load up. Laptops still go through the post tests like any desktop would.

That would be the good news since a replacement battery would be the only thing that needed replacing beside the ac adapter. The bad news however is the quick complete turn off only seconds after first turning it on suggests something like a bad cap on the board!

might be easier to just replace the whole board. problem is - i went to ebay and they all have part #s listed and some are different. i can't find any part # on this board.

also, battery indicated on the battery shows 80% charged.

Unfortunately that would seem to rule the battery out since you would see at least some normal startup. On the desktop here the same problem is seeing lights blink and a total shutoff were seen just 3 days after the first board went in. The replacement newegg sent back in exchange when that was rmaed has beeng running without problems for over a year at this point.

You may end up having to look at what options you have for that model as a substitute if the exact replacement can't be found. You may even have to locate another used laptop(same model) to use as a parts puppy to get that one going again if you aren't ready for a new one at this time due to cost. A repair shop might and mean might be still able to locate a replacement however for a fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom