changing aperture size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the rails on your new PSU, the +3.3, +5, +12 rails is what I mean....if your last PSU had a +12v rail with a rating of only like 10a then yeah that very well could be a problem. These newer cards are requiring a lot more energy these days, but I had a 350w power supply running in my ASUS at the time and it wasn't until I switched mobo's that it ran. Try the error things like killian said and then see if you can try the card in a friends computer that doesn't have an ASUS mobo

hmm, u may be right nubius...

ill try throwing the FX card in my sisters computer and see how it works. ill try to let u know what happens soon.

if it works fine, ill try to get my cash back and maybe buy a better radeon, since they seem to work fine with my motherboard.

and yes, im running win xp.

the VAIO came with a 262 watt PSU so i figured no matter what that i should get a new PSU

oh yeah definitely that 262 was weak as hell. Duh sorry I should have thought about that way in the beginning. That 350watt looks good, lots of amperage available per line and I think I read 21a on the +12v rail which is really good. Gives you enough room to overclock and run like 10 case fans if you wanted. And yeah if you prefer radeon then yeah just go with that. But I honestly think ASUS mobo + winXP + GeForceFX = sleepless troubleshooting nights.

I spent a week straight troubleshooting my computer, updating BIOS, flashing, formatted like 5 times, switching out psu's, trying different computers, forum surfing..it was hell and my friend can back it up.

Exact same problem with me and that thread I linked you to. All 3 of us have had the same combo. Asus mobo, winxp, and an FX card and all 3 of us had troubles....I"M NOT CRAZY!! SEE!! I TOLD YOU ALL!! HAHAHAHAHA!!! HEHEHE!!! I"M NOT CRAZY!!! MUAHAHAHAHA

BTW if it is indeed the GeForceFX 5700 256mb card you have, the thing kicks ass (when it runs) mine burnt out in june and I just now got it packaged up (literally like 7 mins ago lol) to send back to the manufacturer. I procrastinate too much, but beyond that I was gonna destroy the card when it burnt out cause I didn't think of a manufacturer warrentee. hehehe oops. I ripped off the heatsinks and removed the fan lol so I glued them back on and replaced the fan. Even put on some sh!tty compound to make it more 'real' hopefully they send me back a new one ::fingers crossed:: BTW if any of you guys work for chaintech dont tell them I glued the heatsinks back on =P

i have a 256 geforce fx 5500, so it doesnt probably run as good. i think its been too long since i bought the card to get my money back, and i cant find the god damned receit anyway. so i might just try to sell it for 40 or 50 bucks to a friends or somthing and invest in a good radeon, since i really dont wanna get a new mobo.

at least the card wasnt too expensive so its not like it was a ton of money down the drain. and it still does work with my comp, i mean i can play doom 3 without any problems for the most part, its just quake 3 and unreal 2 that it messes up with that i know of so far.

well, thanks for the help.

If you bought it offline the place you bought it from will have a record of your purchase. Check with them though usually its a 30-day replacement policy and a lot of the times its replacement of defective part, rarely refund. The 5500 should still kick ass man. Have you gotten to try it in another computer that doesn't have an ASUS board yet? lol I really want to know if it works fine with a different motherboard to see if ASUS boards really do have some conflict with the FX series hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom