May have to format the hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Druid

Fully Optimized
My computer is getting really horrible. Whenever I try to play games, such as call of duty, things crash periodically, and it takes sooooo long to boot itself up and start my games. It's a real pain. If I format, is there anything that must be reinstalled besides the OS? I know I'm going to have to update my video card drivers and direct x, but I can't think of what else. Also, how long will this whole process take? One last thing, when doing this, is there any risk of the computer not working again. I've never done it before. Is it complicated?

Drivers are first and formost. I would also get DX Runtimes Nov 08. I would get Silverlight, Browser of choice and thigns like that.

There is always a risk when formatting. The hard drive could be dying and cause a installation error, bad parts. But for the most part they go flawlessly. I have formatted and reinstalled OS's so much on my PC it isnt even funny anymore.

It isnt complicated at all. There are a couple fo guides i know of for each XP and VIsta.

Installing Windows Vista - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki
Installing Windows XP - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

What does partiting mean, and how long does this take approximately? How long does the initial wipe take?

Partitioning means taking one single hard drive and 'partitioning' (or separating) it into different segments. This way you can have one partition with Vista and the other with XP. Or one partition with your OS and the other with your files. While this won't save you if your hard drive fails (as all those partitions are on the same drive) it will save you the hassle if you have to reinstall the OS, as all your files can be put on the other partition.

Formatting a hard drive can take 30 minutes to a few hours depending on the size of the drive. Partioning a drive again depends on the size and how many partitions.

Well, I've got like 150 GB out of like 160 full, so it might take awhile. Can you only partition when you are reinstalling the OS? Lex said this will save me the hassle of reinstalling the OS, so if I can partition then format, that would be really nice. Prolly not though, right? If I can't, in future formating, will I be able to only format the parts without the OS if I choose? If I can do that, can I put other things like driver updates and such in the part with the OS so I don't have to redo those as well?

Depending on the tools you can partition at any time. But since you got 150GB full it wouldnt make much sense to try and partition out the 10GB now.

Ok, so, this is going to sound dumb, but how do I start the format in the first place? Restart my pc and then hit that key? If I do choose to partition, I will make two parts and then all files will automatically save on the part that my OS isn't on? And because of this, I can format again later and not have to reinstall my OS, just clean off all the other files?

Which method are you going to do? What software? We cant help unless you give us some info. Just asking if you restart and hit that key doesnt tell us anything that we can use to help you.

Plus i dont understand what you are asking.

If you choose to partition then the Windows install will go there. Files dont have to be saved there by default. You can choose where files download and get saved to per application.

By doing a partition doesnt mean you dont have to format and reinstall the OS. That just meant you can have your personal files seperate so that you dont have to back them up every time you format.

If you get a virus or corrupt a system file there is no getting around reinstalling the OS. Using partitions doesnt stop the OS from ever having to be reinstalled. It jsut helps keep things neater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom